New guy on a '06 WR450F dual sport checking in.

7 replies to this topic
  • rah7777777

Posted November 02, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Bought the bike a couple months ago. Had a pro redo the suspension (and lower a bit as I'm short) And I re-wired the entire bike, whoever did the dual sport kit obviously had no clue how to do 12v wiring.

Did all my maintenance stuff and fired her up for the first time last week. I was surprised she fired right up!

She's got some odd quirks compared to my street bike, but fun so far!

Hope to learn a bunch from you guys.

I've already found out just because it's a dirt bike doesn't mean I should go where I'm not supposed to. Took a "shortcut" on a sidewalk (industrial zone, no one is EVER on that sidewalk) hit a tiny mud patch while leaning and on throttle, did a nice figure "S" and high sided.... Thank goodness for full gear. My poor helmet took most of the beating.

So I'm gonna try and not be an idiot! Haha

• revelc

Posted November 02, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Bought the bike a couple months ago. Had a pro redo the suspension (and lower a bit as I'm short) And I re-wired the entire bike, whoever did the dual sport kit obviously had no clue how to do 12v wiring.

Did all my maintenance stuff and fired her up for the first time last week. I was surprised she fired right up!

She's got some odd quirks compared to my street bike, but fun so far!

Hope to learn a bunch from you guys.

I've already found out just because it's a dirt bike doesn't mean I should go where I'm not supposed to. Took a "shortcut" on a sidewalk (industrial zone, no one is EVER on that sidewalk) hit a tiny mud patch while leaning and on throttle, did a nice figure "S" and high sided.... Thank goodness for full gear. My poor helmet took most of the beating.

So I'm gonna try and not be an idiot! Haha

Being an idiot on a dirt bike is half the fun.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Post some pictures man!

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen
2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

• rah7777777

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:53 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414947130.633937.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1414947148.308732.jpg

Testing picture uploads....
Sweet. It worked!

• rah7777777

Posted November 02, 2014 - 08:55 AM

At some point I want to get DOT knobby tires for her.

Maybe later get an FMF as I've read the Q4 and mega bomb are about the same loudness as stock.

I pulled out the other day at 5:15 am to head in to work early and I doubt I woke anyone up. Can't do that on my Buell. So I do not want a crazy loud pipe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JorisBoris

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Man it looks brand new, so clean ! I got a 06 as well, i need to adjust the suspenion too...

• rah7777777

Posted November 02, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Supposedly 630 miles on it. But I don't exactly trust that stock display, I'm sure it can be manipulated.

But it is pretty clean.

Had it dropped 2.5" internally in the forks and shock.

Added the LED fog lights and mine are they bright. Outshine the headlight bulb ($40 for both off Amazon)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 02, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Unless that photo is decieving, your rear sag is way off.... too low in the rear.....which probably contributed to your fall.

The rear end should only drop 25mm from full extension ( after removing from a stand) when sitting, and 100mm with you on it. 

• rah7777777

Posted November 02, 2014 - 09:35 PM

I haven't set the sag yet. I will be this week though. I've never set sag before so I was waiting for my dirt bike buddy to get back in town.

I don't think it would have made a difference in my wreck though. That was simply being on the throttle while leaning and hitting the mud (all on smooth concrete)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.