Swingarm bolt stuck

24 replies to this topic
  • ar2stroke

Posted January 08, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Pulled out the big guns on that job, likin the pics!!!

The big sledge was like the last straw!

:smashpc:

• JorisBoris

Posted January 08, 2015 - 04:33 PM

I did exactly al that... the press, a bolt to pull... did nothing ! Cutting will be the final option.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted January 09, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Even the radiator and Oil might leak out if I have to tip it too far over

• bg10459

Posted January 11, 2015 - 07:20 AM

Lay it on its side. Block up underneath the frame
Use penetrating oil, heat and time
Leave the swing arm nut on but loose.
Hit it with a big hammer
Fully tighten the nut then loosen again ( this is key)
Rinse and repeat.
Leave the cutting wheel in the toolbox

• woods-rider

Posted January 11, 2015 - 08:15 AM

Lay it on its side. Block up underneath the frame
Use penetrating oil, heat and time
Leave the swing arm nut on but loose.
Hit it with a big hammer
Fully tighten the nut then loosen again ( this is key)
Rinse and repeat.

I tried that for 7 days straight with a minimum of 3 heat cycles per day. It didn't budge. If you are careful with the cutoff wheel it's really not a bad option. I got a like-new swingarm bolt off eBay for like 5 bucks shipped. I wish I would have just cut it off the first day instead of wasting 2 weeks trying to get it out with saving the bolt.

After that experience I now grease all my chassis bearings when the first snow hits in the hills around here. since the snow usually only lasts for a week or two it usually works out perfectly and I don't miss any riding.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.