WRF top clamp swap

8 replies to this topic
  • fixitandy

Posted November 01, 2014 - 12:43 AM

Hey guys, I have scoured every forum & FACQ regarding triple clamp compatibility between WRF's & YZF's, what other clamps from either YZF's or YZ 2 strokes will will suit my 07 WRF, any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers Andy

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2014 - 06:04 AM

My past searching revealed that the YZ top clamp has 1.5mm wider spaced forks from 2004 on

I did not confirm this with any year but 2006 and 2008. Both were wider, and will not work in conjuction with the lower WR

check this out

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

• Goatse

Posted November 01, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I have an 09 WR, and recently bought some 07 triples for some 09 YZ forks and number plate I'm swapping on. I haven't measured yet but I'll try to remember when I'm home later today.

Edited by Goatse, November 01, 2014 - 08:47 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 01, 2014 - 08:54 AM

I swapped a 2010 yz450f tc onto my 2012 wr450f. Went from 25mm offset to 22mm offset. Felt like i shaved 20 pounds from the bike.

All i can say is do a bunch of measuring and comparing. Yamaha is really good about compatibility, but little things creep up.

In the case of my swap the upper fork clamp diameters were different even though both bikes use 48mm usd sss forks. I had to bore out the upper clamps from 54mm to 56mm. And the fork centers were 2mm wider. Everything else fit perfectly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2014 - 10:05 AM

I have an 09 WR, and recently bought some 07 triples for some 09 YZ forks and number plate I'm swapping on. I haven't measured yet but I'll try to remember when I'm home later today.

The triple set will fit on WR's, YZ's, with WR or YZ forks

It's the width between the fork clamping holes that I think is wider on the YZ's

This mostly only affects the front wheel centering and bushings

The '09 forks wont work the WR caliper without drilling the caliper for new mounting holes......

I would love to have less offset on my WR......

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, November 01, 2014 - 10:06 AM.

• Goatse

Posted November 01, 2014 - 10:14 AM

The triple set will fit on WR's, YZ's, with WR or YZ forks

It's the width between the fork clamping holes that I think is wider on the YZ's
This mostly only affects the front wheel centering and bushings

The '09 forks wont work the WR caliper without drilling the caliper for new mounting holes......

I would love to have less offset on my WR......

From what I've read, the triple set will need the stem swapped though.

I picked up the triples because they were for sale locally for so cheap, that they're darn near disposable if it does t work out or isn't worth the effort. The reason for the swap is to run a number plate and not have to worry about drilling and tapping the stock triple for the upper mount.

I'm aware of the caliper bolt spacing though, and it's the reason the forks aren't on the bike yet. I still need to grab an 08+ caliper, axle, and (maybe) some wheel spacers.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 01, 2014 - 01:12 PM

If the number plate is the only reason for the swap, drill a hole on each side of the number plate near the top and tie it to the fork tubes with zip ties instead.

Its not worth the effort to do the swap for just the threaded centered hole that is on the yz tcs.

If you really want to mount the number plate with the center bolt, get a small piece of alluminum bar and put a strap across the 2 wr bolt holes. Drill a hile in the middle of the strap and use it for the center bolt location.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 01, 2014 - 01:12 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2014 - 02:09 PM

^^^ what he said

• Goatse

Posted November 01, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Or I could use an OEM triple and not look like I bought the bike at a garage sale...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.