Rear shock. Help would be appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
  • Mtrain730

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi guys trying to fix my stripped threads on shock body with a file and then use a spacer so the preload rings sit above the damaged threads. I want to make the spacer as thick as possible so I still have adjustment up and down with out going over the damaged threads my problem is there is a quarter inch lip on the bottom of the preload ring I assume to keep the spring centered. My questions would be do you think If I made a spacer that was 1/8 that the spring would be fine to stay centered. My second question would be if the threads where smoothed out enough is it fair to assume that even if my bottom preload ring got into the compromised threads it wouldn't really matter because the locking ring would be bearing the load and it would most likely be on undamaged threads. I know if I have the same sag as I do now set after the spacers they should both be above the damaged area but at some point I might want to increase my preload or lower my sag numbers and depending on how big of a spacer I install my bottom preload ring might once again be on the damaged threads. Hope this made sense. Any input would be much appreciated.

• Yzflier977

Posted October 31, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Had sorta the same thing happen to me. My solution was to order a extra preload ring from a '99 YZ250, which are by the way steel instead of the crappy aluminum ones. When I installed the spring and pre-load rings I installed it normally with the exception of installing an extra pre-load ring upside down against the one that centered the spring, thus putting those threads above the damaged area on the shock body, then the top locking ring. Not the best solution but it will get you to fresh threads. And FYI, suspension direct sells a replacement shock body. Hope that helps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted November 01, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Had sorta the same thing happen to me. My solution was to order a extra preload ring from a '99 YZ250, which are by the way steel instead of the crappy aluminum ones. When I installed the spring and pre-load rings I installed it normally with the exception of installing an extra pre-load ring upside down against the one that centered the spring, thus putting those threads above the damaged area on the shock body, then the top locking ring. Not the best solution but it will get you to fresh threads. And FYI, suspension direct sells a replacement shock body. Hope that helps?

That might work for me. So if I'm understanding you the preload ring that you have touching the spring is facing the correct direction with the lip down but you have a second preload ring facing up and then the locking ring above that. Did you order a ring for 99 yz250 because that's what your bike is or because it is metal as oppose to aluminum or for a different reason. Thanks for the help.

• Yzflier977

Posted November 01, 2014 - 05:48 PM

That's correct. Original down, new (additional) ring facing up and then the top locking ring in the normal position. I used one from a 99 YZ250 for a couple of reasons. That's what I owned for several years until I bought a 2009 YZ450. For a period of time I owned both bikes and when I serviced the shock on the 450 was when I noticed the newer bike had the aluminum rings. So before selling the 99 I swapped the aluminum for the steel rings for longevity on my 450. But I do know you can just order the steel ones and they will fit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.