Running wet sump on an 04 450F

2 replies to this topic
  • 72degrees

Posted October 31, 2014 - 04:36 AM

Thanks to the lowlifes that stole both our speed hill climb bikes from my garage a fortnight ago I am looking at a replacement for the 03/04 Willpower tuned bike we have been running for the past couple of seasons. No chance of getting it back as I guess it has already been broken for parts or gone across the channel. Too distinctive to sell as a complete bike . The KTM 350 SXF that also went is definitely unique. I'm not aware of another anything like it in the UK. I can't face having to convert two MX bikes so need at least one to be ready to run.

So I've found an 04 ready setup for supermoto - lowered, 17 inch wheels, big disk etc. The advert says it has been converted to wet sump. I know this is a fairly common modification and I guess for what we use the bike for it would be fine. It would only get run for a couple of minutes warming up followed by less than a minute of hard riding up to a maximum of 8 or 9 times at an event.

How do you check the oil level? I suppose running such a small amount you are best changing it after every meeting anyway.

Sound the business otherwise: "suter slipper clutch, rinaldi cdi ignition, rinaldi racing cams, gearbox built with special 2nd, 3rd gears"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2014 - 06:56 AM

Oft times there is a sight glass that replaces the neutral switch.  Otherwise, there is no way to check it.  Personally, I'd convert it back.

• 72degrees

Posted October 31, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks. After reading your reply to another thread I don't think I'm ready to risk it. No idea how many hours it has on it and it was raced in the British supermoto championship when first built. I'm not in a hurry to have another gearbox failure.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.