Sprockets: What Mfgr do you buy / mount?

Drive Sprockets

28 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:22 AM

After some fun this weekend, I'm now in need of sprockets.

I've read thread after thread, and find most folks will say they mounted up some tooth-number sprocket, but no one mentions whose they buy?

Which mfgr's do you buy?

Edited by mebgardner, October 27, 2014 - 10:22 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Sun

Sunstar

Sunline

JT  <<< my fav

DirtTricks

Sidewinder

Don't bother with using aluminum / Protaper/Renthal/Regina etc

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, October 27, 2014 - 10:29 AM.

• YHGEORGE

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:30 AM

In 40 years I have used several different brands of aluminum sprockets from the fancy names to the inexpensive Primary Drive ones from Rocky Mtn. I ride in all conditions and have never had a problem with any of them. For me, I can tell no substantial difference. I always change sprockets and o-ring chain at the same time. I do use a good chain, either RK or DID.

• mebgardner

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Sun

Sunstar

Sunline

JT  <<< my fav

DirtTricks

Sidewinder

Don't bother with using aluminum / Protaper/Renthal/Regina etc

George:

I like Krannie's advice.  I managed to bend my rear sprocket while pretty deep into inaccessible areas (the chain came off, I'm investigating why).  The OEM (which is what bent) is aluminium and I managed to bend it back sufficient to get me out of there.But, I would rather it not bend to begin with.

...and now I'm gonna second-guess my own reply.  The chain /sprocket system generated considerable force to cause that rear sprocket to bend. Now I wonder what would have broke instead?

Anyway, no one is saying they broke their chain in the field.  There are scattered reports of chain coming off, and chain guide welds breaking. That's another thread...

I'm inclined to follow Krannie's advice.

Thanks Krannie.

• beezer

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Aluminum sprockets wear quickly.

I've had good luck with stock and Renthal Twinring.

I buy the Twinring cause I'm a sucker for bling.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2014 - 11:05 AM

George:

I like Krannie's advice.  I managed to bend my rear sprocket while pretty deep into inaccessible areas (the chain came off, I'm investigating why).  The OEM (which is what bent) is aluminium and I managed to bend it back sufficient to get me out of there.But, I would rather it not bend to begin with.

...and now I'm gonna second-guess my own reply.  The chain /sprocket system generated considerable force to cause that rear sprocket to bend. Now I wonder what would have broke instead?

Anyway, no one is saying they broke their chain in the field.  There are scattered reports of chain coming off, and chain guide welds breaking. That's another thread...

I'm inclined to follow Krannie's advice.

Thanks Krannie.

" Well dang, there's your problem, right there..."

• torkd14

Posted October 27, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Sunstar steel sprockets or Supersprox (cheap price and hold up) steel are my go to choices.

• stevethe

Posted October 27, 2014 - 11:35 AM

If you were to go aluminum a 7075 series is pretty strong. JT and Sunstar uses them.

• DonnieD

Posted October 27, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Sunstar steel sprockets or Supersprox (cheap price and hold up) steel are my go to choices.

Same here. I'm a big fan of the "made in Japan" stamp, 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 27, 2014 - 12:18 PM

I have a year (80 hours) on an aluminum Sunstar and its still in decent condition.  I'm shocked it lasted that long. 

I think a lot depends on the soil conditions you ride in and how you take care of it.  A big part of sprocket life is replacing the chain as soon as it stretches. 

BTW, the OEM sprocket is steel.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 27, 2014 - 12:19 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mebgardner

Posted October 27, 2014 - 12:59 PM

Oh.  OK.  Wow, the rear wore out quick for me, then. I'm pretty certain I had the chain tight / loose to owner manual spec. The front sprocket looks fine, like new.  I have to check the chain for stretch...

Edited by mebgardner, October 27, 2014 - 12:59 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 27, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Oh.  OK.  Wow, the rear wore out quick for me, then. I'm pretty certain I had the chain tight / loose to owner manual spec. The front sprocket looks fine, like new.  I have to check the chain for stretch...

What were you riding in ?  When I was a kid and lubed the chain with something sticky and rode in sand sprockets would wear out insanely quick.  Think grinding compound on your chain and sprockets.  Sometimes its better to run a dry chain.  I've been running mostly dry.  I'm riding in clay soils.  Our average speeds are also lower than desert riding.

Funny the front looks new.  It gets ~4x the number of revolutions.

• vlxjim

Posted October 27, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Supersprox Steel and alum.

supersprox%20catalogue%202013%20stealth.

• vlxjim

Posted October 27, 2014 - 02:16 PM

Wow that was big.

Or the Twinring.

twinring1.jpg

• vlxjim

Posted October 27, 2014 - 02:29 PM

MSR Ironman I hear great things about.

ironman-sprocket2.jpg

• stevethe

Posted October 27, 2014 - 02:49 PM

MSR Ironman I hear great things about.

ironman-sprocket2.jpg

Wonder if they bend easy on a rock.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 27, 2014 - 02:55 PM

Wonder if they bend easy on a rock.

Be very careful with chain tension on those. 

• cracker please

Posted October 27, 2014 - 03:10 PM

I've heard of people bending the old style ironman sprockets that didn't have the hexagon in the middle.  Looks like there's still some on ebay like that.

• vlxjim

Posted October 27, 2014 - 04:09 PM

The MSR ones have the hex in the center. They are made of harden steel. And yes the non MSR ones that had no center hex on them could break the hub if the chain was to tight. Its was fixed with the addition of the center hex.

• mebgardner

Posted October 27, 2014 - 05:30 PM

What were you riding in ?  When I was a kid and lubed the chain with something sticky and rode in sand sprockets would wear out insanely quick.  Think grinding compound on your chain and sprockets.  Sometimes its better to run a dry chain.  I've been running mostly dry.  I'm riding in clay soils.  Our average speeds are also lower than desert riding.

Funny the front looks new.  It gets ~4x the number of revolutions.

That day (yesterday), about 15-20 minutes of deep sand. Mile after mile of it, as I tried to find a way out of the sand wash I entered.

Deep here is 6-8 inches deep, and loose. I tried to follow someone else's track and kept going... I eventually found the way out, and I overcame my fear of deep sand at the same time.

So, my inspection tonite was an eye-opener. Completely worn out chain guide, worn out front *and* rear sprockets, and bad welds on the guide bracket. I'm about $200 into parts and shipping (I'm replacing the OEM guide), and still need to take the swingarm off for the welding. Boy, that last item really has me worked up.  I expected *much* better from Yamaha.  Even my lowly DRZ400 right next to it has a pro job done on that bracket weld. Boy Oh Boy, would I like to tell Yam an earful.

Edit:

I run a dry chain lube. No sticky stuff for me...

Edited by mebgardner, October 27, 2014 - 05:32 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.