2012+ WR450F coolant overflow... should there be some coolant in there?

12 replies to this topic
  • nd4spdbh

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:32 AM

Just as the title states, on the 2012+ WR450's should there be some coolant in the overflow tank? I just bought a new 2014 WR450 and while the main radiator is full and topped off the overflow tank has nothing in it.

Thanks!

• avlisj

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:58 AM

Catch is for when coolant boils over and then can be sucked back onto radiator when motor cools. As long as rad is full and system is prime it should be good. Mine always carries just under half full in overflow when cold. Never had any overflow or Overcook problems.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Just as the title states, on the 2012+ WR450's should there be some coolant in the overflow tank? I just bought a new 2014 WR450 and while the main radiator is full and topped off the overflow tank has nothing in it.

Thanks!

It should be empty

• mch

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there is a fill line on the reservoir tank.  Fill it to that.  Mine always has coolant in it.

Edited by mch, October 27, 2014 - 08:21 AM.

• offrd beatr

Posted October 27, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Roughly half full as delivered from stealership. It should have some in it.

• nd4spdbh

Posted October 27, 2014 - 04:12 PM

yup thats what i thought, i looked and there looks to definitely be a fill to line. Ill talk to the sealership tomorrow when i pick up my GYTR ecu.... they can throw me a quart of the engine ice they used. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GASKICKER

Posted October 27, 2014 - 04:19 PM

My 07 has a fill line on the bottle that looks to be 25-30% of the capacity of the tank.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 27, 2014 - 04:25 PM

The is no purpose to having fluid in the overflow unless your overflow overflows....and that would mean you probably have a cooling system failure, and it would just keep boiling over, solving nothing.

• William1

Posted October 27, 2014 - 04:40 PM

I keep an inch (about 2 ounces) in my bikes with the overflow tank. If the bike is cold and less than an inch of fluid is there, I know I am loosing coolant. Having some there ensures that my radiator is completely full and it keeps the line purged of air.

BTW, a dry engine cooling system will not take a whole quart of coolant.

• Chas_M

Posted October 27, 2014 - 08:46 PM

It should be empty

I disagree although it's not that a big deal.

I like to have some coolant in the overflow reservoir when the engine is cold. When coolant is visible you always know that the rad is completely full at a glance without having to open the rad cap.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:16 AM

I disagree although it's not that a big deal.

I like to have some coolant in the overflow reservoir when the engine is cold. When coolant is visible you always know that the rad is completely full at a glance without having to open the rad cap.

This could be true.

• KennyMc

Posted October 28, 2014 - 05:41 AM

Mine always finds it's "happy spot" at about 1/3 of the catch can. As has already been said, I like to see it as I then am comfortable that my rads are full. Verified every few rides when the bike is cold and can open the rad cap.

• supermega1

Posted October 29, 2014 - 01:14 PM

I always keep some in mine just in case.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.