Help needed! 2014 YZ450

8 replies to this topic
  • ca412686

Posted October 25, 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hey guys, having an issue with starting the bike. I was out for a ride the other day, came home, cleaned the bike. Took off all the plastics and cleaned it all. Let it sit for a few days and went back to change the oil.

Started it up as always to warm up the oil, then drained it, changed filter and added just under what I needed. Got distracted with kids and then tonight I decided to start the bike, check the level and add the proper amount.

Only problem is, it won't start. Won't even catch. Almost like an electrical problem or spark plug? So I checked the plug, and it's good. By passed the kill switch as well. Any ideas?? Anyone else have any similar problems? The bike only has 13.9hrs on it. Thanks guys

• ca412686

Posted October 25, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Solved. So, after talking to friends, working on the bike for 2hrs straight taking everything apart and checking every electrical connection, spark plug, I solved my issue. Wait for it....wait for it.... Friggin EXHAUST PLUG!!! Just a fyi, don't have your 2 and 5 year old kids running circles while you work. I need a kid free work area. Haha

Edited by ca412686, October 25, 2014 - 02:27 PM.

• yz133rider

Posted October 25, 2014 - 02:35 PM

No way! That's wild. It happens but I've never gone as far as even grabbing a wrench because of the butt plug lol.

Glad it was free and easy just overlooked !

• jcm3

Posted October 29, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Solved. So, after talking to friends, working on the bike for 2hrs straight taking everything apart and checking every electrical connection, spark plug, I solved my issue. Wait for it....wait for it.... Friggin EXHAUST PLUG!!! Just a fyi, don't have your 2 and 5 year old kids running circles while you work. I need a kid free work area. Haha

Ha ha, been there, done that.

Three kids, btw.  lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXKyle

Posted October 30, 2014 - 03:33 AM

:D     I think we have all done that a time or too many.

You might want to use the same simple trick that I use so that this never happens again.  I tied a cord to the plug with a loop on the other end that goes over the vent hose on the gas cap.  You can't sit on the bike without seeing the line so you won't waste your time with futile kicks.  It also keeps the plug from getting away if it falls out in transit. 

--KT--

• jcm3

Posted October 30, 2014 - 10:01 AM

:D     I think we have all done that a time or too many.

You might want to use the same simple trick that I use so that this never happens again.  I tied a cord to the plug with a loop on the other end that goes over the vent hose on the gas cap.  You can't sit on the bike without seeing the line so you won't waste your time with futile kicks.  It also keeps the plug from getting away if it falls out in transit. 

--KT--

I'm an IT guy, and I like that!  Sounds like a way to fix a problem with a little system.  Makes perfect sense.  I'm always creating little systems for things, and it drives the wife nuts.

• dirtbeater

Posted October 30, 2014 - 04:48 PM

I have never used a plug before this bike. After I bought it (plug installed) i went to change oil and clean it. I probably kicked for 30 minutes before getting on Craig'slist and starting a post "trade for two stroke". While posting noticed the butt plug. Made me feel real smart. Cant even blame the kids.

• ca412686

Posted October 30, 2014 - 06:32 PM

:D I think we have all done that a time or too many.

You might want to use the same simple trick that I use so that this never happens again. I tied a cord to the plug with a loop on the other end that goes over the vent hose on the gas cap. You can't sit on the bike without seeing the line so you won't waste your time with futile kicks. It also keeps the plug from getting away if it falls out in transit.

--KT--

Good idea. The plug actually had a "remove before flight" flag on it. But I guess that came off, or the kids took it?? I'm hoping that's the only reason I didn't notice it in... Haha

• Gaz929

Posted November 01, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Haha I was going to say check exhaust plug!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.