Regulator rectifier

5 replies to this topic
  • Kcizik

Posted October 24, 2014 - 02:42 PM

So, one of parts I had to buy to get this bike running was a regulator rectifier. I'm aware of the AC/dc outputs of it and what they supply. However I burn out light bulbs each time I use it. I put a meter on the headlight to see what I had there. It was 13.5v at idle and over 18v at high rpm. So to me it seems it's not regulating. Does that mean it's bad, or is there other causes? What could it be?
I also have a spare stator, but I rather not pull it unless I knew that it was the cause.

• William1

Posted October 24, 2014 - 04:44 PM

If you've replace the R/R and still having issues, typically the cause is a poor ground or corroded connector. Typically, these are near impossible to trace with a meter as they only show up under load. So the solution is to disconnect  every wire and plug, clean and ensure good contact.

• Kcizik

Posted October 24, 2014 - 08:21 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a look over.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kcizik

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:57 AM

Ok, so I checked over every ground. I even ran a new one directly to the rr. I'm still having the same problem. I'm burning out bulbs faster than before.
Here's my point of confusion. The headlight is AC. The stator has a separate coil for this. Does that AC current pass through the rr? Or is that only dc? How can I be certain that it's the rr that's bad, not the stator?

• RickyStator

Posted November 14, 2014 - 12:57 PM

The AC passes thru the r/r. Sounds like your r/r is bad, too much voltage means your stator is working properly you just arent regulating it.

• Kcizik

Posted November 14, 2014 - 02:30 PM

The AC passes thru the r/r. Sounds like your r/r is bad, too much voltage means your stator is working properly you just arent regulating it.

Simple yet effective explanation. Thanks, I'll just grab a new one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.