Metal in oil.

16 replies to this topic
  • mch

Posted October 23, 2014 - 06:42 AM

I change the oil in my 12 WR450F about every 10-14 hours and I clean the oil filter (stainless steel) every other oil change.  Anyway, to clean the filter I have a small jar with mineral spirits I dunk it in and kind of gently shake it to get some fluid going through the filter (but not stir anything up that may have already settled to the bottom of the jar).  After I do that a bit, I spray out the filter with simple green, then fill up a sink and dunk it, etc. with soapy water, then wash with running water.  I then use compressor blow tip to dry it out (not high PSI).

Anyway, this last time I noticed some residue at the bottom of the jar that looked a little weird.  I ran one of those retracting pen magnets along the bottom and got some metal particles (about 2x the amount of a pencil eraser).  The particles were very fine and this same solvent has been used at about 5-10 times, so I doubt I have much to worry about.  Anyway, what are your ideas on where these particles are coming from?  Clutch parts (stock), gears, cams?  I have like 300+ hours on it.

• RockerYZWR

Posted October 23, 2014 - 06:54 AM

If it's just a fine magnetic goop sticking to the magnet and/or the oil sparkles a little with clutch particles, it's normal. Even a some small (tiny, like 0.5 mm) shavings is not a big deal. I get that stuff in my clutch side magnetic drain plug regularly. But if you're getting bigger shavings and slivers of metal, you may have some bottom end work in your near future.

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2014 - 08:08 AM

It's entirely normal for transmissions to shed iron "dust", and you have a transmission living in your engine oil.  I can't tell you how many front wheel drive automatic transmissions have been overhauled when they didn't need it because there was steel dust piled up on the pan magnet.  If you install a magnetic drain plug, you'll snare a lot of this crap before it gets picked up and pumped back into the oil tank. 

Also normal is finding slivers of aluminum in the oil filter that come from the clutch parts.  You're finding it in the filter, where it frankly belongs.  The thing you should watch for is to establish a sort of baseline as to what is and isn't normal for the bike, and keep an eye out for a sudden increase or significant change in the nature of the shards you see.  Squarish "flakes" of steel (retrievable with a magnet) are a bad sign, generally, if there are more than just a few of them.

• mebgardner

Posted October 23, 2014 - 11:13 AM

I see two magnetic drain plugs from BikeMaster in the TT Store.

Both are same size at 16mm x 1.5

One is steel, one is aluminum.

Two questions:

Do I want the steel or the aluminum one? and,

I know there are two drain plugs, and I thought they are different sizes?

Which two sizes do I want?

Thanks...

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2014 - 11:27 AM

There have been two sizes, but the '12 lists them both as the same.  The only one that will really do much for you is the crankcase drain.  There won't be much for the reservoir drain to intercept.  The bolts are shown as being M8x1.25 thread.  I see it finally points in a sensible direction.

• mebgardner

Posted October 23, 2014 - 03:51 PM

OK.  The TT store selections will not fit, then.

Guess I'll look elsewhere (BikeMaster website does not list the fitment for this cycle, and they dont list an M8 size. They start at M10).

You sure it's M8?  That's pretty small for an oil drain.

Edited by mebgardner, October 23, 2014 - 03:54 PM.

• cracker please

Posted October 23, 2014 - 04:43 PM

I got an M10 but it's too big.  Too big for a 12 at least.

Edited by cracker please, October 23, 2014 - 04:43 PM.

• stevethe

Posted October 23, 2014 - 04:49 PM

I can tell you we had a cheap piece of ..... magnetic drain plug that broke in half. Barley got it out without pulling the motor.
You might want to buy a quality one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mebgardner

Posted October 23, 2014 - 05:38 PM

I need some recommendations, please.

My WR450F 2013 Owners Manual says it's an M6.

Has anyone fit a magnetic drain plug to a '12+ model, that they liked?

I can not seem to find a store that can sell me one.  They all seem to stop at the '09 year model.

Edit: (I'll start a new thread with the request).

Edited by mebgardner, October 23, 2014 - 05:40 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted October 23, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Anyone know if the '11-earlier bottom ends are different from '12+? I didn't think they were, but I haven't looked to see on a '12. On my '11, the left side plug was an M8 (that I modified to an M10, completely voluntarily...not), and the other side under the engine is an M10 stock. That's the one I have a Factory Connection aluminum mag plug in and it works great. Plus it's a little extra anodized red bling right where no one can see it. But I know.

• cracker please

Posted October 24, 2014 - 04:46 AM

The '12 uses the small M8 drain plug in both spots.  It looks like the one on the right side got moved to the back sort of.  Wonder if sticking a little neodymium magnet on the outside would work?  I guess it depends how long the bolt is.  Wouldn't want shavings to stick to the threaded part if it extends too far.

Edited by cracker please, October 24, 2014 - 05:17 AM.

• stevethe

Posted October 24, 2014 - 05:29 AM

The '12 uses the small M8 drain plug in both spots.  It looks like the one on the right side got moved to the back sort of.  Wonder if sticking a little neodymium magnet on the outside would work?  I guess it depends how long the bolt is.  Wouldn't want shavings to stick to the threaded part if it extends too far.

Well the 07-11 should use a 10X1.25mm drain plug bolt.

If the 12' and up are 8mm it should be a 8x1.25mm bolt. A CRF 450 bolt should fit if it's not too long http://www.ziptyraci...tic-drain-bolt/

• grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Well the 07-11 should use a 10X1.25mm drain plug bolt.

If the 12' and up are 8mm it should be a 8x1.25mm bolt. A CRF 450 bolt should fit if it's not too long http://www.ziptyraci...tic-drain-bolt/

Correct about the thread pitch.  Fixed it. 

20mm should be OK, from what I can see.  The original is listed at 16mm long.  The down side of an overlong drain bolt is that the extra length may cause bolt threads to extend into the oil volume, and that makes it possible for them to drag sump debris into the threads of the bolt hole as the bolt is backed out.  Over time, that can become a thread wear problem.

• mebgardner

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:41 PM

Correct about the thread pitch.  Fixed it. 

20mm should be OK, from what I can see.  The original is listed at 16mm long.  The down side of an overlong drain bolt is that the extra length may cause bolt threads to extend into the oil volume, and that makes it possible for them to drag sump debris into the threads of the bolt hole as the bolt is backed out.  Over time, that can become a thread wear problem.

Thank You.

Would this work? Its 12 mm long:

(8mm x 1.25 x 12mm - Magnetic Drain Bolt):

http://www.ziptyraci...tic-drain-bolt/

Edited by mebgardner, October 24, 2014 - 12:43 PM.

• mebgardner

Posted October 24, 2014 - 12:44 PM

There have been two sizes, but the '12 lists them both as the same.  The only one that will really do much for you is the crankcase drain.  There won't be much for the reservoir drain to intercept.  The bolts are shown as being M8x1.25 thread.  I see it finally points in a sensible direction.

I have to plead ignorance.  Which one is the crankcase drain? Left side, or back side (underneath)?

• cracker please

Posted October 24, 2014 - 04:53 PM

The back one drains the crankcase and the left side drains the oil tank.

• mebgardner

Posted October 26, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Thanks.

Gold Plug sent me a reply:

/*************************

Hello:

I can not get your website to function, so I hope I can get a mail request completed.

Do you make one of these?:

M8 x 1.25 x 16 mm long

The request is for a '13 Yamaha WR450F.

Thanks,
Bob Gardner

Answer:

Hi Bob,

You need our MP-11:
http://goldplug.com/shop/mp11/

Thanks,

Gold Plug

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.