WR426 Gearing

• Please sign in to reply

6 replies to this topic
  • RyanOhli

TT Member

37 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 22, 2014 - 06:21 PM

I did a search and it seems like most of the threads focus on the gearing on the WR450, which is aparently different than it is on the 426.  I've had my bike for a little over a year now and done mostly all trail riding in the woods up here in northern Cali.  Previous owner put a flywheel weight on, I'm assuming because there is a spacer there on the case.  Bike is pretty good in the woods except for a mystery stalling issue I can't seem to solve, that occurs when she gets warm and I grab some clutch in the tight stuf, but that's a different thread...

RIght now the bike has 13/52 on it, which seems pretty short.  Just curious what other guys are running and for what types of riding.  I'm dirt only and taking my first desert trip next week, thinking I should probably add at least one tooth on the front.

• 426john

TT Member

49 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 05:51 AM

Hi Ryan,on my wr426f.
I went from 13/51 to 14/48.
I ride on the road with mixed tyres and love this set up.

It gives me long gears & time to think.

Hope this helped

• Pooley

TT Silver Member

768 posts

Posted October 24, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Stock gearing is 14/50 for the WR426, and I have never really needed to swap from stock gearing.  Admittedly there are times where the trail is tight/open enough where I can't run 3rd without lugging too much, but wish I could carry 2nd gear a little higher without reving it out, but that is just the nature of mixed terrain.  Maxed out in 5th is between 80-85 mph on a dirt road (could have more maybe, but I've don't have the guts to stay pinned that long) so I don't need more top end.

To give you an idea of the trails that I ride in Michigan, they are primarily motorcycle-only singletrack, which is not maintained to fit a quad, and for the most part they definitely wouldn't fit.  On these types of trails I normally ride a mixture of 2nd and 3rd gear.  I rarely ever use 1st, except when the trail re-routes through the dense undergrowth to go around a downed tree. When the trails are a little wider, ie quad width, I can run 3rd and 4th.  I do not run high RPMs.

We do not have a lot of long climbs, but when we do climb it is almost always deep sand.

• Matt Goddard

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Stock gearing is 14/50 for the WR426, and I have never really needed to swap from stock gearing. Admittedly there are times where the trail is tight/open enough where I can't run 3rd without lugging too much, but wish I could carry 2nd gear a little higher without reving it out, but that is just the nature of mixed terrain. Maxed out in 5th is between 80-85 mph on a dirt road (could have more maybe, but I've don't have the guts to stay pinned that long) so I don't need more top end.

To give you an idea of the trails that I ride in Michigan, they are primarily motorcycle-only singletrack, which is not maintained to fit a quad, and for the most part they definitely wouldn't fit. On these types of trails I normally ride a mixture of 2nd and 3rd gear. I rarely ever use 1st, except when the trail re-routes through the dense undergrowth to go around a downed tree. When the trails are a little wider, ie quad width, I can run 3rd and 4th. I do not run high RPMs.

We do not have a lot of long climbs, but when we do climb it is almost always deep sand.

So will stock gearing be OK for tight trails and hill climbs?

Edited by Matt Goddard, November 23, 2016 - 07:55 PM.

• Krannie McKranface
36,195 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 23, 2016 - 09:40 PM

13/50 will be needed if you want to climb any real hills, especially if you have to 'navigate' your way up.

If not, 14/50 will be fine.

• bigl

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 10:06 AM

13/50 will be needed if you want to climb any real hills, especially if you have to 'navigate' your way up.

If not, 14/50 will be fine.

I recently went 14/51.  I now ride 3rd more than I use too.  I would say it improved quite a bit.  My riding is mostly sand and tight twisty single track.

• nateb1583

TT Member

40 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted December 02, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Not trying to pirate your thread but I also had a question about gearing with my 01 WR426. I do a lot of searching, reading, and watching video's about this bike since I got it. I have only had it running for one season that unfortunately was cut short and most of the time was spent making constant changes getting it running and then dialed in. I am constantly hearing about "power wheelies through 4th" and "all you have to do is roll on the throttle" which is not necessarily the case with my bike. I have done the gray wire mod, trimmed the throttle stop, full fmf pipe, and JD Jet kit. It is running stock gearing as well. I am 6' about 215lbs but aside from first gear, I have to get rpm's up, lay off the throttle then punch it to get the front up without clutch and can only get it up through third. I'm still trying to find out what is "normal" for this bike but it sounds like I am having to work harder at it then what everybody else makes it sound. Is this a technique failure, weight problem ;), gearing needs adjusting, or should I start checking for mechanical failures (compression test)? I ride a lot of single track and on road to work and back. I am new to 4 strokes in general and I have nobody around with a similar bike for comparison. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.