Anyone install a FMF Snap Airwing on a 2012 WR450F?

Fuel & Air Intake Kits FMF Snap Yamaha WR450F

8 replies to this topic
  • gripitnripittx

Posted October 22, 2014 - 09:35 AM

Hey Thumpers, I have already "uncorked" my 2012 WR450F (Installed a FMF Megabomb Header & FMF Powercore 4 Hex Muffler, installed the short throttle stop screw, competition ECU & removed the airbox snorkels) and I am playing around with the fuel maps...what a HUGE contrast from factory...the bike is now a beast!

But like most of us, I'm looking at any other simple/inexpensive "bolt-on" improvements & wanted feedback on the FMF Snap Airwing (https://www.denniskirk.com/dk/pdf/instructions/17/dk173630.pdf) as well as how easy or difficult/involved it actually is to install.

Thanks for the feedback!

• revelc

Posted October 23, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Snake oil.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen
2013 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

• woods-rider

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Not snake oil, these type of things improve throttle response, but don't increase power. I used a product similar to this back in 2003 on my 2002 YZ250F. It was called Power Now (cheesy name, I know). It only had one horizontal blade, and it made a substantial difference in the throttle response. With this FMF unit having two blades orthogonal to each other I would think that the improvement in throttle response would be even more substantial. The price is pretty steep for what it is though IMO.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 26, 2014 - 09:26 PM

They work in carbs, but mess up the jetting if it is spot on to begin with, because the vacuum is increased for all throttle openings below halfway.

I have one in my carb's WR, and it helps a couple of percent.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 27, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Streamline the end of the cold start plunger.

See here:

I used gas tank leak fix epoxy.    

Between doing the cold start plunger mod, the 08 YZ exhaust cam and setting C1 (to 8), the bottom end on my bike is fantastic. Smooth, predictable, luggable and strong and it never flames out.

BTW, its not a choke.  Its an air bleed.  The butterfly on these TBs closes off the bore entirely.   The passage that the cold start knob covers is where the air gets through at idle and high idle when the knob is pulled out.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 27, 2014 - 09:32 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Not snake oil, these type of things improve throttle response, but don't increase power. I used a product similar to this back in 2003 on my 2002 YZ250F. It was called Power Now (cheesy name, I know). It only had one horizontal blade, and it made a substantial difference in the throttle response.

On an engine such as the YZ250F, the carb is a bit larger than is beneficial to low RPM response, and the cam timing is considerably more aggressive for an engine of that size.  In terms of power per liter, it's much more high strung than even a YZ450F is (at the same level of tune, a 450 would produce 70 hp).  Bigger engines in milder states of tune don't suffer from the same kind of intake reversion problems as do the little bikes, so devices designed to counteract that don't have as much of an effect on them.  You will not see the same sort of benefit in such devices on a YZ450, much less the WR, as you would on something like an MX 250F.

• Jonesy11

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hey Thumpers, I have already "uncorked" my 2012 WR450F (Installed a FMF Megabomb Header & FMF Powercore 4 Hex Muffler, installed the short throttle stop screw, competition ECU & removed the airbox snorkels) and I am playing around with the fuel maps...what a HUGE contrast from factory...the bike is now a beast!

But like most of us, I'm looking at any other simple/inexpensive "bolt-on" improvements & wanted feedback on the FMF Snap Airwing (https://www.denniski...17/dk173630.pdf) as well as how easy or difficult/involved it actually is to install.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have all your same mods plus gytr head and cams. I saw this snap thing for 99 bucks. So I threw it in and I honestly can feel a difference in throttle response. No extra power or anything else but it does help a little.

• gripitnripittx

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:44 PM

I have all your same mods plus gytr head and cams. I saw this snap thing for 99 bucks. So I threw it in and I honestly can feel a difference in throttle response. No extra power or anything else but it does help a little.

Thanks Jonsey11.

How much is involved in the install, the info on FMF's website is not real clear. I'm assuming you installed yours while you had the bike apart for the head & cams, so may not have been much additional to install.

• Jonesy11

Posted November 02, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Thanks Jonsey11.

How much is involved in the install, the info on FMF's website is not real clear. I'm assuming you installed yours while you had the bike apart for the head & cams, so may not have been much additional to install.

No did the cam and heads a month or more back just did this one last week. Kind of a pita. You have to pull the subframe to put this piece in the airbox boot that connects to throttle body. Not hard but with all the wires on this bike just time consuming.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

WR450F Supermoto, Old vs New? by MtnDrew

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Should i switch to a ktm 300 exc or xcw from a 2009 wr 450f by Tattoojunk

• Hot  55 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.