Tyre choice

This is a question which I'm sure has been asked so many times in the past (sorry only joined within the last month).

What do people consider the best tyre to be? 

I know there are a lot of variables to consider so I will base it on, road riding (commuting) but then being able to have a good day of enduro on the same set.

Let me know what everyone uses or have used. (i'm from the U.K so hopefully we all have the same choice of tyres).

Also put prices if you have seen the bargain of the century! 

Over here in the States I like too run Dunlop, Bridgstone, or Goodyear ( there a bit harder too come by,) but trusting there in stock more times then other companys, i have not pinned what tire, so im also interested into what works both road, and trail, Some times i see the use of Trial tires in rear how are they for street is a ??

You might have better luck asking that in your regional forum. What works for me here in the mountains of idaho might not work well for you.

That being said, I'm still trying to find a front tire I like, but the rear is an oversized Maxxis IT Desert. (120/100 I think?) Bulletproof and gobs of traction.