Dealership doesn't want to change CO until I uncork?

31 replies to this topic
  • revelc

Posted October 21, 2014 - 04:29 AM

I asked them to change the CO levels to help with the known hard start issues these bikes have.

The salesman called the other day and said his head tech didn't want to set it until I uncorked the bike because adding exhaust and removing the air box snorkel will change the CO levels.

This didn't make sense to me but I didn't want to argue on the phone about something I don't know much about.

Any input?

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen
2013 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

• LoonRider

Posted October 21, 2014 - 04:40 AM

I uh... don't know what CO is....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 21, 2014 - 04:58 AM

They are right

• William1

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:10 AM

If... the dealer arbitrairly tweaks the CO (Via mapping numbers per some of the threads here) it should not be a issue. If the dealer is actually going to tweak it and use a sniffer then he should not do so until after the mods are done.

However.... not everyone complains of hard start issues. One mistake a lot of people do is 'fix what is not broken'. Do not assume you have a problem. Actually determine if you do.

Few dealers actually have the tool to make the adjustment, if you decide to have them make a change, make sure they actually have the tool.

• revelc

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:28 AM

I did confirm the issue. The bike couldn't start without the cold knob pulled out and about 15 seconds of cranking. It also died a few times after it started. Just like the 2012 I had.

It's pretty embarrassing especially when you have a (brand new) hot bike on the trail and it just cranks and cranks and your buddies on their old beater kick right off and roost you.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• offrd beatr

Posted October 21, 2014 - 06:35 AM

Give it a couple hundred miles to loosen up. They start easier after being broken in. Make sure that the throttle is in the right spot and don't just crank away at it. If it does not light after 3-4 turns then let up and wait for the pump to reprime

Edited by offrd beatr, October 21, 2014 - 06:37 AM.

• revelc

Posted October 21, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Give it a couple hundred miles to loosen up. They start easier after being broken in. Make sure that the throttle is in the right spot and don't just crank away at it. If it does not light after 3-4 turns then let up and wait for the pump to reprime

I found the only way to get my 2012 to start was to crank WOT 4 times. Then crank with no throttle and it fired off. Still shouldn't have to fiddle with a new bike like that. Even after 200 miles it didn't improve.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted October 21, 2014 - 09:09 AM

I found the only way to get my 2012 to start was to crank WOT 4 times. Then crank with no throttle and it fired off. Still shouldn't have to fiddle with a new bike like that. Even after 200 miles it didn't improve.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

I do the same thing. WOT for a few cranks, then it starts fine(with no throttle). If I'm in a rush, I'll just kick it.

I also find that if I kill the engine while it's reving high (~6k). It'll start up fine when hot. Good for when I'm waiting for a friend to catch up, but he shouldn't be long.

For a bike that starts so well cold, or if it sits for 2+ minutes...

Edited by Spiritwalker2222, October 21, 2014 - 09:11 AM.

• William1

Posted October 21, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I did confirm the issue. The bike couldn't start without the cold knob pulled out and about 15 seconds of cranking. It also died a few times after it started. Just like the 2012 I had.

It's pretty embarrassing especially when you have a (brand new) hot bike on the trail and it just cranks and cranks and your buddies on their old beater kick right off and roost you.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Cold engine should always need the cold start knob.

It does sound like you could use the ECU Tweak. Locate the thread in this forum section regarding other peoples ECU adjustment. Print it and take it to the shop. Make sure the mechanic understands and can do the adjustment. They should be willing to do a one time gratis for you, if they are willing to at all (note, EPA restrictions may scare them).

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 21, 2014 - 02:07 PM

Turn your enrichment knob counterclockwise 3 clicks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted October 21, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hey pal ;)

• GP1K

Posted October 21, 2014 - 03:50 PM

I tried that and I'm still not any richer. Where does the money come out??

• offrd beatr

Posted October 21, 2014 - 07:38 PM

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Strange. Mine lights pretty reliably if you take up the slack in the throttle cable then twist just a fuzz more then hit the button. It's hard to start off throttle. Will start in gear, hot stalled, 1-2 tries using this method. I let the pump stop before hitting the button again.

Edited by offrd beatr, October 21, 2014 - 07:40 PM.

• revelc

Posted October 26, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Well I have the bike now. It has been a blast.... When I can get it going.
Dealership didn't have time to adjust CO on Saturday when I picked up the temp tags.

Firstly, it won't idle.
Period.
At all.
Just keeps dying.
Sometimes it won't restart like its stuck TDC. I have to really kick it hard to break it loose.

I turned the knob/idle mix thing all the way up but it won't run for more than a few minutes without dying.

As soon as I touch the throttle it dies.

Cold knob in or out doesn't matter.

I've had to put it in gear and slowly let the clutch out in order to ride it.

It's died at intersections and stop lights.

It almost got me hit by a car last night when it died at a stop light.

I have to keep the RPM's up around 4,000 to keep the engine running.

It also pops like a mofo when I decel.

I put on an FMF Q4 and removed the throttle stop, but the snorkel is still on and the ECU is stock until the new one arrives.

This is all a CO issue right? Surely the snorkel wouldn't hinder it that much.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen
2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 26, 2014 - 03:06 PM

Gotta re map

Stock is unrideable unless you live in the high mountains

• revelc

Posted October 26, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Gotta re map
Stock is unrideable unless you live in the high mountains

Getting the new ECU Tuesday. Already have the GYTR handheld.

Will it really help with idle issues?

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 26, 2014 - 03:37 PM

Getting the new ECU Tuesday. Already have the GYTR handheld.

Will it really help with idle issues?

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

You can turn the idle up so it won't stall, but then in will 'creep' into corners even with the throttle shut

Right now you are so lean, the motor cannot run at idle.

This is because the EPA requirements at idle are ridiculously stringent.

It's like they think you are going to use this bike idling in a McDonalds drive through every day of your life.

• revelc

Posted October 26, 2014 - 03:41 PM

You can turn the idle up so it won't stall, but then in will 'creep' into corners even with the throttle shut
Right now you are so lean, the motor cannot run at idle.
This is because the EPA requirements at idle are ridiculously stringent.
It's like they think you are going to use this bike idling in a McDonalds drive through every day of your life.

I actually have the knob turned all the way up. Still no good.

Don't get me started on the government and the EPA. I wonder how many trail bikes riding a year equate to the emissions that result from the Presidents trips to Martha's Vineyard and his frequent golfing getaways.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 26, 2014 - 05:41 PM

I actually have the knob turned all the way up. Still no good.

Don't get me started on the government and the EPA. I wonder how many trail bikes riding a year equate to the emissions that result from the Presidents trips to Martha's Vineyard and his frequent golfing getaways.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

Golf is needed for a sane President, so I welcome that behavior.

What bugs me is the 27,000 trucks delivering 12oz containers of Soda Pop and snacks to Gas Stations and Liqour stores, a dozen at a time.... all around the Nation.  What a waste...

• revelc

Posted October 28, 2014 - 07:55 PM

I rode to the dealership after work and even after running 40+ miles it still died at intersections.

They didn't have time to adjust the CO mix so I went ahead and installed the Race ECU in the parking lot before I left just to see what happens.

Low and behold. It cured the idling issue! I was able to turn it down and the bike didn't stall once on the way home.

It did however richen things up a lot. The front end didn't want to come up in 5th anymore. I need to play with the maps a little to make it fun again but the lower RPM issues may be fixed after all without changing CO.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.