2001 yz426 false neutral

6 replies to this topic
  • joelenway

Posted October 17, 2014 - 03:08 PM

Just rebuilt the whole motor got it started did a little break in and notice that the bike hits a dead spot or neutral between shifting.. it doesn't pop out of gear or into gear it just happens when I shift from gear to gear.. Not all the time but a lot..it's not the clutch or shift forks.. did I install something wrong when I put it back together?? Where do I start to figure this out?? The bike runs awesome just can't really ride because I can't shift threw the gears smooth because it always hits a nuetral. Help please

• grayracer513

Posted October 18, 2014 - 03:24 PM

You are able to shift all of the gears at least some of the time, like if you use the clutch at low speeds, for instance?

• joelenway

Posted October 18, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yes that is exactly what is happening..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • joelenway

Posted October 18, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Sometimes when I go to shift I can't get it into any gear have to mess with the shift lever and ends up in a random gear

• joelenway

Posted October 19, 2014 - 05:58 AM

So any ideas?? Am I gonna have to pull the motor and split them cases again?

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:07 AM

More likely a problem with the linkage under the clutch.  One mistake that can be made is failing to index the shift segment ("star") on the end of the cam correctly.  There is a pin pressed into the cam that's supposed to locate the segment.  If you miss it, the segment is out of phase and the cam will stop in the wrong spot. 

The shift shaft needs to rotate freely in the cases and return to center when released.  If not, the ratchet pawls won't cleanly and precisely pick up the next step in the cam like it should. 

It's more apt to be in that area than between the cases.

• joelenway

Posted October 19, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the help.. know that u say that about the star I Really Never Looked At it.. It Didn't Say Anything In The manual. gonna tear into it now.. thanks again

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.