2006 yz450f piston markings

12 replies to this topic
  • 88motohead88

Posted October 16, 2014 - 01:05 PM

This is a new piston with maybe 3 hours riding time. Any ideas what causes this?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1413493522315.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2014 - 02:28 PM

The piston is hitting the head is what's happening.  As it's only hitting on the exhaust side, it could be too much rock/tilt at TDC due to excessive piston clearance, or a lot of carbon on the head on that side.  Otherwise, it would be due to inadequate deck clearance (the distance between the top of the piston and the top of the cylinder at TDC).

• 88motohead88

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:19 PM

It's a brand new piston and cylinder so how does the rock/tilt work? So I got a bad cylinder and piston? Can I still use it?

• 88motohead88

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:22 PM

Sorry what I'm trying to say is the piston clearance you mentioned shouldn't be excessive because it's a brand new cylinder and piston right?

• stevethe

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:35 PM

Sorry what I'm trying to say is the piston clearance you mentioned shouldn't be excessive because it's a brand new cylinder and piston right?

You may have some mismatched parts there. You should contact the manufacturer with pictures.

• BMcEL

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Where did you get the 'new' cylinder from?  Or was it a remanufactured cylinder?  If it's a reman, I wouldn't be surprised if they decked the cylinder and/or the head and took too much off.  Regardless, you should start by measuring the deck clearance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 88motohead88

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:49 PM

It was from cylinder works. Brand new. So if I run this like this now that the piston and head is "shaved itself " basically by am I gonna blow it up? It ran great but the rod broke, I've got a new used bottom end.

• 88motohead88

Posted October 16, 2014 - 03:50 PM

The head and piston show the signs of contact, I'm wondering if the damage has been done won't it be ok now?

• stevethe

Posted October 16, 2014 - 04:08 PM

The head and piston show the signs of contact, I'm wondering if the damage has been done won't it be ok now?

Definitely not. You do not have enough clearance and I would not trust the beating the piston took as it being clearanced now.

• 88motohead88

Posted October 16, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Ok any suggestions?

• stevethe

Posted October 16, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Ok any suggestions?

If everything else is okay you could have the piston shaved down to make the proper clearence.
You should however find out why it hit. Was the head decked or material taken off from it.

• mx369

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:22 PM

What gaskets are you using? Check thickness of old and new.

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Start with the piston. measure from the pin bore to the top of the crown and compare to the original.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.