should I trade?

4 replies to this topic
  • mrjata

Posted October 15, 2014 - 07:19 AM

Got a kid wanting to trade his YZ450F for my YFZ450 quad(that I spent the winter going over and through).  What do you think?  Should I?  Bit if a difference in asking prices.  He wants $2450 and I want $3500.  I am throwing in new rear paddles, new front sand tires and douglas rear wheels.

Let me know what you think.

love this site!!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0608.JPG
  • yz450f.jpg

• billygildark5007

Posted October 15, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Not to be quad racist but on the good side you'd be trading a bike for a quad.
The bad side is quads are generally worth more money. And you just went through it so you know exactly what condition it's in.
Also I would be worried when you say "some kid". How did the kid take care of it? Probably not as well as a seasoned rider would but who really knows

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrjata

Posted October 15, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Not to be quad racist but on the good side you'd be trading a bike for a quad.
The bad side is quads are generally worth more money. And you just went through it so you know exactly what condition it's in.
Also I would be worried when you say "some kid". How did the kid take care of it? Probably not as well as a seasoned rider would but who really knows

You are right, for sure.  I figure I will have to "go through " this one too.  I just can't find a home for the quad outright.  atleast I can ride the bike.  Oh, well, winter is on the way.  guess I always need a winter project.

anything I should look for other than the obvious on bikes?  Anything specific to this beast?  Not a real 4 stroke guy.  Help an old fart out here....

• grayracer513

Posted October 16, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Maintenance makes all the difference. Regular, or at least frequent, oil changes, a regimen of air filter service that includes a clean element nearly every ride in any kind of dusty conditions.  Often, the little things you can see will tell a lot.  Missing bolts, mismatched bolts replacing the originals, bolt heads rounded by careless use of tools, things taped or zip-tied out of position... Stuff like that.

• mrjata

Posted October 16, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Maintenance makes all the difference. Regular, or at least frequent, oil changes, a regimen of air filter service that includes a clean element nearly every ride in any kind of dusty conditions.  Often, the little things you can see will tell a lot.  Missing bolts, mismatched bolts replacing the originals, bolt heads rounded by careless use of tools, things taped or zip-tied out of position... Stuff like that.

Oh, sure that stuff is a given.  I look at wear patterns too.  I just wondered what I should look for or know about the 450 4 cycle.  A bike is a bike after that.  I know they are noisy.  I think I can fix that or come real close.  Have worked on Harleys a lot over my 50 years.  What are some of the idiosyncrasies of this beast?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.