whoops question

9 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted January 28, 2002 - 08:27 AM

Rode at a new spot this weekend with a long sandy whooped out section. Not large whoops, but enough to get the wheels off of the ground a little bit, small and close together. I typically took it in 4th gear. Problem is, the bike would always start swapping on me like crazy, enough to raise my blood pressure and make me slow down. I could give it gas and lean back and while I was accelerating it would go pretty strait, but the section was about 100 yards long so accelerating the whole time is out of the question, especially since I'm already in 4th when I enter the section. Do you guys have any tips to stop the swapping? I'm 160# and I've got my front compression at 6 clicks, rebound at 8. Rear rebound is at 6 clicks and the compression is 1.5 turns out for the high speed and I think 9 clicks for the slow speed. Should I slow down the rebound some more?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 28, 2002 - 08:50 AM

sirthump your gonna have to stay on the gas or swap. its either or. your issue wouldnt be as pronounced on a two stroke, backking off the throttle is only going to exacerbate the wallowing and swapping and you may have to get wild and grab 5th. I can imagine this could be a problem if youve got a 2nd gear corner coming up, you could drop $350 on a Scott stabilizer, but other than that your guess is as good as anybodys I'd bet.

• yzrider

Posted January 28, 2002 - 12:20 PM

I see you are from FL. Where were you riding? It's all sandy whoops around here! I was out riding in Croom this weekend, there are sections over 1/4 mile long with 3 foot plus sugar-sand whoops. I don't have the nads to keep on the throttle for that long. On occasion, the back will try to come around on me, just keep the knees tight on the tank and keep the front end pointed forward. You get used to it...

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 28, 2002 - 03:04 PM

I was riding in Indiantown, right under the bee-line highway bridge. I usually go out to thundercross in okeechobee but I was trying to get my wife to ride her XR100 and this was the best offroad place that I could find near my house. Croom is up near Ocala right? You ever ride down at Thundercross? The sand was typical dry florida dirt this weekend. Really deep sand that leaves big hanging clouds of dust <cough> <cough>. Neat change from the mx track.

• JBM

Posted January 29, 2002 - 06:37 AM

Make sure you have your sag set correctly first of all. Then you will probably have to reduce your rebound. Read this and it may help http://www.mx-tech.com/tuning.asp

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted January 29, 2002 - 09:03 AM

I was going to suggest just the opposite--increase rear rebound damping. If you're starting to swap, it seems like the rear end is kicking back faster that it should be and the back end is coming around. Increasing rebound damping would fix this. Of course, that is assuming that your race sag is set correctly, like JBM said. It should be between 90 and 100 mm. Free sag should be between 15 and 35 mm.

• freestyle111

Posted January 31, 2002 - 12:48 AM

trick is to keep front end just high enough so your front tire taps top of each whoop.if your bike is swapping all over.i would say that its most likely being caused by you chopping the throttle.leaning way back and wheeling thru whoops will work good if its only a short section.but in long section your front wheel will start to come up to high.then you have to let off gas thats when swapping will start as soon as you let off throttle the rear suspension becomes unweighted and the next whoop you hit acts like kicker causing your rearend to shoot straight up, now all you can do is chop the trottle again to bring rear tire down.by now its to late your timimg is way off and bike has lost its momentum your bouncing every which way but loose.now lets discuss my way to go thru whoops when the front tire taps top of whoop it shifts weight to rear tire this let you ride with your body positioned more in center of bike,where your more balanced and not going get bounced around as much.this allows you to keep throttle in steady positions.and most importantly since bikes front wheel keeps touching top of whoops you can control where your going and stay on good line.

• jamracing

Posted January 31, 2002 - 05:49 AM

Thumpwhoopalot, I agree with Rich. Your rear rebound is crucial to riding whoops faster/safer. By going in one rebound click, I was able to go one gear higher in the whoops. Croom will make you the Whoop King!

• JohnnyG

Posted January 31, 2002 - 10:10 PM

This might sound crazy, but ride your rear brake through the whoops while giving the bike full throttle.

Somehow it helps compress the rear suspension or something. A guy a lot faster than me told me to try this after I had the same problem. It worked for me maybe it will work for you.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 31, 2002 - 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips. I quickly read through the link that JBM left (thanks for the link JBM!) and my initial impression is that I'm going to have to go stiffer and slower with the rebound. I'll try this and the rest of your ideas the next time I'm there and see what happens. Thanks!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.