Questions about Enduro Racing and YZ426.

9 replies to this topic
  • Robertski

Posted January 28, 2002 - 07:17 AM

I'm going to try an enduro here in about 2 months and I need some advice!

I have an '01 YZ426. Should I get one of those bolt on kickstands?

I still have the original sprocket (48 tooth). Should I get a larger sprocket? How many teeth? And what is this about a 'weighted flywheel'?

If I do get a larger rear sprocket, do I have to lengthen the chain any?

Thanks in advance,

• CAL

Posted January 28, 2002 - 07:51 AM

I just bought a YZ426 Friday. I will be doing 90% trails, 10% MX. From my ride Saturday, I can tell that I will be putting a 13 tooth front sprocket on and a 12 oz. flywheel weight(in the future). A flywheel weight will slightly mellow the "hit" of the power delivery and help prevent low rpm stalling. I'm not sure about lengthening the chain on 426's. I imagine, though, if you go 2 teeth or more, you will have to lengthen. Just a guess.

• elmo426yz

Posted January 28, 2002 - 07:57 AM

I have been riding enduros since 94 so i know i little about them, i would say that you won't need the kickstand unless it is a personal preference. A flywheel wieght is a a must it makes the bike easier to start and a less chance of stalling My 01 yz426 has a 13/49 sprocket combo and it seems to work great.

• holeshot

Posted January 28, 2002 - 10:51 PM

I've run one enduro on my 426, and went to a 13 tooth front and stock rear. The smaller front gives you a lower first for those gnarly sections, but the gears become spaced a little too close together to take full advantage of the four stroke torque curve. I switch back to the 14 tooth for "normal" riding.

I use the Malcolm Smith kickstand for trail riding and enduros, and remove it for the MX track (but I leave the bracket on.)

• Robertski

Posted January 28, 2002 - 12:02 PM

Hey Fellas,

Thanks for the response! The enduro I'm looking at has pit stop/re-fueling stop, so that's why I'm thinking of a kickstand (I really hate to have to bolt a kickstand onto my 426!).

Did you have to lengthen your chain any? What brand of front sprocket, etc.

Thanks for the posts...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • holeshot

Posted January 28, 2002 - 06:54 PM

The YZF has plenty of adjustment, so I didn't have to lengthen the chain. I bought a Renthal 13T sprocket, but only because it was the brand the local shop had in stock (I'm not fussy about the brand name).

• Merfman

Posted January 29, 2002 - 05:56 AM

Hi guys, I haven't seen enduros mentioned much here so I've been swimming below the surface. Been racing enduros since 1986 and have logged well over 100 entries. I'm semi-retired from the full-time circuit racing but still managed to make 4 races last year.

Here's my take on the 426 for trail work:

I think MUCH depends on your skill level and local terrain. I don't think I'd like to race this bike in ultra-tight terrain. I raced the Louisiana qualifier a couple years ago and I would have hated this bike in that terrain. I hated my YZ250 at the end of the day for that matter. For more open terrain, I've left the gearing stock. You need to feather the clutch a little in the tighter stuff but the payoff is worth it IMHO.

I'm running my forks approx 4mm from the top and have the chain as short as I can get it. Raising the forks and shortening the wheelbase makes it turn much easier.

I had my suspension revalved by a local guru and that alone made a huge difference on the trail. Also, the bike seems to be pretty sensitive to race sag settings to make sure you get that set up right.

If this is your first race, don't even worry about timekeeping, you'll be overwhelmed. You should definitely read the rules and know what is meant by timekeeping, but use your first race as a learning experience.
Ride your own race, don't get in over your head and most of all, have fun!

IMHO, there is no sport like it...

• freestyle111

Posted January 29, 2002 - 03:50 PM

where is this enduro being held?i just put new 50cc engine on my GOPED and would like to you know if its legal to tow trailer during race?i have a little red wagon that i can hook up to back of goped.then i have place to carry my tools and lunchbox.i'd let you throw kickstand in back of my wagon after it vibrates off during but im sure ill be so far in front of you it wont do you any good.maybe after i finish i can go back and try and find you.if you want ill bring some tiedowns and if you get to tired to finish race we can put your bike in my wagon.

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

• Merfman

Posted January 30, 2002 - 04:35 AM

Those who can race, those who can't ride freestyle.

Is all.

• Futura

Posted February 01, 2002 - 04:53 PM

OK, first of all, I want to thank all of you for answering the original questions -- except for Freestyle111, who comes off as a total smart@$$ dumb$#!+...

This discussion has been right on the money for me, because I'm looking for a bike that can be modified to swing back 'n forth between the SX-style club track nearby and the woods in back of my house, in the Northeast. My take is that I can switch a few things around to hit the track or to hit the trails...

Dirt Bike mag recently said that they have it on good authority that the YZ426F manages Eastern woods tight-stuff pretty well -- apparently, a lot of guys use it up here for 'whatevers'... that the YZ (vs. the WR) is the most versatile bike Yamaha makes, and it's the better buy vs. the WR.

You guys have straightened me out on a few points that are helping my buying decision... All the Best.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.