2012 leaving WR450... Going back to a YZ

121 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted January 01, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Yeah, really like how easy the KTM is to manage in the slower, tight stuff. The easier power distribution along with the weight savings is great in the canyons and up in KM and in the Sierra's.

But the power deliver of the WR for hillclimbs is fantastic. Gonna give it a go tomorrow with the added benefit of a new 120 Desert IT ;)

Thanks for inviting me along Hose-face.

• Wristrockit

Posted January 02, 2015 - 06:04 AM

I hope a six speed tranny makes it into the 450.

I would love to plate a new WR250F so I can get my buddies into riding.

2014 WRR-Totalled
2012 WR450F-Stolen
2013 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

I saw the new 250FX up at my local dealer's and he told me about the 6 speed and I thought the same thing, when they gonna put a 6 speed in the 450?  I may wait to buy another one in this case.  Fingers crossed.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 02, 2015 - 07:16 AM

You do know that on the 250fx it's not 'another gear' added to the 5 speed, it's just a close ratio 6 speed like all the later model KTM's.

No additional top speed.

Only the older 6 speed KTM's had an 'overdrive' 6th gear.

• KennyMc

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for inviting me along Hose-face.

I would have to say that was one the most tiring rides I've been on. 85 miles of single track with snow thrown in wears on you....
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1420216339.733590.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 02, 2015 - 10:39 AM

I would have to say that was one the most tiring rides I've been on. 85 miles of single track with snow thrown in wears on you....
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1420216339.733590.jpg

Then it's good I was not there, whining, complaining, making excuses........

• GP1K

Posted January 02, 2015 - 12:15 PM

I guess those 'we don't have rough terrain where we ride' finally shut up.

They never did even attempt to come down here and ride real terrain, not foo-foo little woodsey crap where you don't stand up or open the throttle all day. "oooh, Melvin, look out! Roots! "

Mocking that which you do not know only makes you look foolish and ignorant. I double dog dare you to come up to WA sometime and try some of our 'foo-foo little woodesy crap' trails and if you could even hang, you'd surely be singing a different tune. Real skills are required here, displacement and HP are largely irrelevant.

And yeah, I for one never 'attempted' taking a several days of vacation to drive 20+ hours (each way) to find out what I already know: SoCal is not nor ever will be the mecca for super gnarly technical terrain. You have rocks... rocks, and more rocks. Bone dry rocks at that. We have rocks too, and also trees, downed trees, branches and roots, that are often wet, covered with moss, leaves, pine needels and or mud etc. Gee, I wonder which of those is harder to ride on? Dry rocks or wet slippery rocks, roots & branches? Derp.

And perhaps Melvin should try some nice spider-web roots that are all wet & mossy on a steep side hill single track trail some time. After eating shit a few times he may find a new respect for them.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 02, 2015 - 12:22 PM

^^ like I said, NEVER came.

• GP1K

Posted January 02, 2015 - 01:02 PM

^^ like I said, NEVER came.

And YOU never came HERE either. So there! :p

• KennyMc

Posted January 02, 2015 - 02:58 PM

Neener, neener, neener ;)

• Wristrockit

Posted January 02, 2015 - 02:59 PM

You do know that on the 250fx it's not 'another gear' added to the 5 speed, it's just a close ratio 6 speed like all the later model KTM's.

No additional top speed.

Only the older 6 speed KTM's had an 'overdrive' 6th gear.

Perhaps when/if they put it in the 450 it won't be?  One can only hope.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cubera

Posted January 04, 2015 - 06:47 AM

I was looking for something sort of between a 650R and 300XC and settled on the 2013 WR. No regrets. It is what it is. The Yamaha is reliable as an anvil and will take the abuse and neglect that comes with hundreds of hours a year of trail riding mostly and some open desert racing. It's capable in about any situation and comfortable in most. So peeps looking to ride a capable cost effective E-start Fi 450F the WR is no brainer. My KTM experience has not been all that great or as cost effective so I'm really happy with the WR. The weight is a disadvantage at times but can also be an advantage at other times. Still what defines worthiness is reliability and ride ability fun factor and the WR has been every bit a reliable as any of my XR's or CRF's and is light years ahead of the either the 2010 300XC-W or 2011 530XC-W SD I've completely worn out. The WR is not much heavier (curb) as any other E-start 450.

Having said that, I am looking now to purchase the new Yamaha 450XC in 2016 or when it comes out later this year. This will be "the race bike". I'm also adding a 250cc pinger for a trainer on the local short MX track. I'll keep the WR as long as she'll have me though:)

That's bikes...I love them all and am happy about the obsession. Happy New Year!

Edited by cubera, January 04, 2015 - 06:49 AM.

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:54 AM

I was looking for something sort of between a 650R and 300XC and settled on the 2013 WR. No regrets. It is what it is. The Yamaha is reliable as an anvil and will take the abuse and neglect that comes with hundreds of hours a year of trail riding mostly and some open desert racing. It's capable in about any situation and comfortable in most. So peeps looking to ride a capable cost effective E-start Fi 450F the WR is no brainer. My KTM experience has not been all that great or as cost effective so I'm really happy with the WR. The weight is a disadvantage at times but can also be an advantage at other times. Still what defines worthiness is reliability and ride ability fun factor and the WR has been every bit a reliable as any of my XR's or CRF's and is light years ahead of the either the 2010 300XC-W or 2011 530XC-W SD I've completely worn out. The WR is not much heavier (curb) as any other E-start 450.

Having said that, I am looking now to purchase the new Yamaha 450XC in 2016 or when it comes out later this year. This will be "the race bike". I'm also adding a 250cc pinger for a trainer on the local short MX track. I'll keep the WR as long as she'll have me though:)

That's bikes...I love them all and am happy about the obsession. Happy New Year!

That's the same conclusion I came too (coming off an XR650R).  I wanted something with updated suspension (correct out of the box) and with proven reliability, FI, e-start, and lighter then the XRR.  The WR wet, is about 12-15 lbs heavier than the 500EXC, but when I test rode a friends 500EXC, to me, the WR felt better.  As far as going to a 300XCW for a light tight trails bike, I am looking to go lighter, but I don't see that bike out there yet..the 250 freeride I rode had no hit whatsoever...

• cubera

Posted January 04, 2015 - 08:01 PM

The WR can be lightened a bunch by switching to an FMF slip on and Shorai battery. Then it is in the realm of the lightest production E-start 450's. Lighter weight is important in some situations but not important enough to live without a reliable starter button. I find the WR amazingly agile for a big bore thumper enduro ride.

• torkd14

Posted July 10, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Well I sold the 2012 WR450 November 2014 and picked up a 2014 YZ450 in May. I have no regrets in switching bikes for cross country/ hare scramble racing. The bike starts better, handles better and pulls like a freight train. I had to put a softer map in for the bottom end but love the way the bike makes more and more power the higher it revs. Time to wait and see what's going on with the new FX and possible re-design of the WR. These are pretty exciting times for us Yamaha fans.

• stevethe

Posted July 11, 2015 - 06:10 AM

Hopefully the 450FX will be the cats meow. A perfect blend between a WR and a YZ. The new backwards motor's do produce better HP. Us off road users however also need things like a kickstand, electric start, larger flywheel, six speed would be nice and a18" rear wheel. The extra weight of necessities is no issue in my book. 

• Wristrockit

Posted July 23, 2015 - 06:49 PM

This tread sucks.

• dslate

Posted July 23, 2015 - 08:08 PM

All I got to say is I got a fast bike that handles bumps, has so much acceleration I can barely hold on to the handles and requires low matenenice(WR). Also I would get sick of paying thousands of dollars on rebuilds for the racing bikes. If you have a racing bike and have the patience to change oil every 2-3 days, and rebuild your bike every 6 month then that's fine. With the racing bikes they are lighter and preform better on the tracks. And honestly the WR doesn't feel that heavy and I have an 03. Now permiting I don't take it to the tracks it don't feel so heavy and I weigh 170. Also I'm 15 So I'm not gonna pretend I know everything about these bikes. And also you must be thinking of course I think it's a lot of money for mateninece when it comes to the bikes just because I don't work a full time job. But even when I'm 22 with no kids and a full time job I'd much rather have a reliable bike with plenty power for offroading. Now the WR's I'm sure could be used in tracks and handle them just fine with proper suspension, tune, and a little weight reduction. Now I'm not say in that it would be a competition bike, I'm saying it could handle a track decently with the proper set up. Still any 4t race bike would murder it in a race. And to end this all off iv read most the comments through this thread and at this point I can't remember what it was originally about even though I read the first comment 10 minutes ago haha. Its funny how threads switch from the original topic to fights or just a whole different subject.

• stevethe

Posted July 23, 2015 - 09:50 PM

All I got to say is I got a fast bike that handles bumps, has so much acceleration I can barely hold on to the handles and requires low matenenice(WR). Also I would get sick of paying thousands of dollars on rebuilds for the racing bikes. If you have a racing bike and have the patience to change oil every 2-3 days, and rebuild your bike every 6 month then that's fine. With the racing bikes they are lighter and preform better on the tracks. And honestly the WR doesn't feel that heavy and I have an 03. Now permiting I don't take it to the tracks it don't feel so heavy and I weigh 170. Also I'm 15 So I'm not gonna pretend I know everything about these bikes. And also you must be thinking of course I think it's a lot of money for mateninece when it comes to the bikes just because I don't work a full time job. But even when I'm 22 with no kids and a full time job I'd much rather have a reliable bike with plenty power for offroading. Now the WR's I'm sure could be used in tracks and handle them just fine with proper suspension, tune, and a little weight reduction. Now I'm not say in that it would be a competition bike, I'm saying it could handle a track decently with the proper set up. Still any 4t race bike would murder it in a race. And to end this all off iv read most the comments through this thread and at this point I can't remember what it was originally about even though I read the first comment 10 minutes ago haha. Its funny how threads switch from the original topic to fights or just a whole different subject.

Just one thing on your 450. Change your oil often.

• dslate

Posted July 24, 2015 - 05:59 AM

Just one thing on your 450. Change your oil often.

Right now where changeing the oil everyday to clean it out good. After I get it good and clean I'm probably going to change it every 2 weeks.

• xcbuckeyeguy

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:02 AM

All I got to say is I got a fast bike that handles bumps, has so much acceleration I can barely hold on to the handles and requires low matenenice(WR). Also I would get sick of paying thousands of dollars on rebuilds for the racing bikes. If you have a racing bike and have the patience to change oil every 2-3 days, and rebuild your bike every 6 month then that's fine. With the racing bikes they are lighter and preform better on the tracks. And honestly the WR doesn't feel that heavy and I have an 03.

YZ450's don't require more oil changes or more frequent rebuilds compared to a WR when both are ridden and maintained in the same manner. I had an 04' WR450 (identical to your 03') and it was a giant pig compared to any YZ I've ever owned. The newer WR's are much thinner and maneuverable, but still a little big for my liking.

Edited by xcbuckeyeguy, July 26, 2015 - 08:04 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.