2001 yz426f about to blow!

4 replies to this topic
  • Big Blue 177

Posted October 13, 2014 - 05:52 AM

Let me start off by saying this post isn't related to one of my bikes (thank god). A buddy "Friend 2" of mine had recently picked up a 426 from another friend "Friend 1" after the motor began seizing up. Friend 2 is having his work cut out for him. I wanted to get this up to get some feedback from people who have had/dealt with this before. I am always interested in learning more about bikes if I can, and I've always believed it's easier to learn from others mistakes. I'm no mechanic so I won't be tinkering with the bike at all but I would like to get him pointed in the right direction if I can help. The bike was purchased used by "friend 1" and had some issues to start with (Idle was turned all the way off so the throttle had to be held open) but it was an easy fix. After finding out what it was I assumed it was set up that way because of some try hard that raced the thing to death. It ran fine for a while but then the real trouble began.

This is how it happened:

Friend 1 was riding very rocky trails for a few hours when on the way back to the truck the bike shut off in 3rd under power.

The kickstarter was locked up at this point.

My friend let the bike sit for around 20 minutes then it kicked and started again

He went to put it in gear, it died, and kickstart locked. end of his riding that day.

A few days afterward the same thing happened with starting but the kickstart became permalocked.

This was the point where my other buddy bought the bike with the intention of fixing it. (a little naive if you ask me)

He decided to take it to a local shop (that is notorious for doing low quality work) to see what the problem was.

They told him the rod bearing was shot.

They replaced the rod, the bearing, and gaskets for the top end as far as I know. (supposedly upgraded to a 448cc now too)

After the work was done he went to throw oil back in and said it was leaking (but apparently an o-ring fixed it)

So now the bike runs again.

Friend 1 and Friend 2 decided to go out for a ride yesterday and that's why I'm here lol.

Friend 1 said that the bike runs like a hot turd now. It is making a popping sound from the exhaust, and the entire head pipe is glowing red. I told Friend 1 that it was most likely a jetting issue but he doesn't think Friend 2 messed with the carb durring the rebuild. I'm just looking to get a little insight from some people with real experience. I would like to give a little better description of its current state but unfortunately I haven't seen the bike since it became permalocked. I appreciate the input and hope everyone else having this issue can get a little info from this post to help them out as well. 

:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2014 - 06:19 AM

The most likely cause is fuel drying in the wrong part of the carb while the rebuild was being done.  Doesn't take much to block up a pilot jet to the point that it will behave like it's 5 sizes too small.  Clean up the inside of the carb and see what comes of it.

http://www.thumperta...o/#entry6879695

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrFreez82

Posted October 14, 2014 - 11:04 AM

A cc upgrade will ask for a carburator jetting ajustment also

• grayracer513

Posted October 14, 2014 - 12:36 PM

A cc upgrade will ask for a carburator jetting ajustment also

Not necessarily.

• pauly_adams

Posted October 15, 2014 - 05:09 AM

my pipe glows red when I give it heaps apparently it is normal due to the thin wall steal header, as for the popping under deceleration is also normal for a 426, I would however like all have said, clean the carb and try changing the fuel, if that does not work it may need a re jet to fix 

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.