14 yz450 keeps ripping valves off inner tubes

7 replies to this topic
  • Gaz929

Posted October 12, 2014 - 11:08 PM

Guys I have a problem that is starting to confuse me now?

I keep ripping the valves clean off the inner tube when I'm out riding, first I thought or well this stuff happens so bought an Ultra Heavy Duty tube and that has done the same after 1hr of riding!

Any idea why???ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1413184106.279165.jpg

Edited by Gaz929, October 13, 2014 - 07:04 AM.

• thefex

Posted October 13, 2014 - 03:47 AM

I assume that you use one of those tire holders http://img.ec24h.pl/...m.153x180-s.jpg
Did you tight it firmly? I mean really firmly.. Do you ride with the tube`s ventil nut screwed on the top of the rim? 
I use regular tubes, which are lighter than those heavy duty. I never use the ventil nuts

• Gaz929

Posted October 13, 2014 - 05:38 AM

I assume that you use one of those tire holders http://img.ec24h.pl/...m.153x180-s.jpg
Did you tight it firmly? I mean really firmly.. Do you ride with the tube`s ventil nut screwed on the top of the rim?
I use regular tubes, which are lighter than those heavy duty. I never use the ventil nuts

Yes I have the rim lock fitted, and I thought it was tight but maybe not! As for the nut on the valve stem I always tighten them as well.

Never had this problem before until I got this bike? I'm guessing all the torque is causing tyre slippage.

• Rocket416

Posted October 13, 2014 - 06:13 AM

Yes I have the rim lock fitted, and I thought it was tight but maybe not! As for the nut on the valve stem I always tighten them as well.

Never had this problem before until I got this bike? I'm guessing all the torque is causing tyre slippage.

Never tighten the nut on the valve stem!!! Always leave it off or back it off until it hits the valve cap. By doing this you can see when the tire slips because the calve stem will be cocked to one side. Then simply let the air out, loosen the rim lock, break the bead, spin the tire and hit the brakes to spin it back the opposite direction.
Funny thing is my 450 hasn't spun the tire in a while but on my 125 I had to reset it last weekend. I guess it all depends on how good it bites into the rim and the condition of your rim lock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gaz929

Posted October 13, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Never tighten the nut on the valve stem!!! Always leave it off or back it off until it hits the valve cap. By doing this you can see when the tire slips because the calve stem will be cocked to one side. Then simply let the air out, loosen the rim lock, break the bead, spin the tire and hit the brakes to spin it back the opposite direction.
Funny thing is my 450 hasn't spun the tire in a while but on my 125 I had to reset it last weekend. I guess it all depends on how good it bites into the rim and the condition of your rim lock.

The tubes I've bought have two nuts on them do I use them both?

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2014 - 07:30 AM

1) check the rim lock.  I may have been bent narrower by over tightening on a tire with a thicker than normal bead, or it may be for a 1.85 wide rim instead of the 2.15.

2) dust your tubes with talcum power (baby powder, bath powder, foot powder).  It keeps them from "crawling" in the tire.

• Gaz929

Posted October 13, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Cheers guys, I'll try all what you's have said

• thefex

Posted October 14, 2014 - 02:44 AM

throw away the valve stem nuts :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.