01 wr426 key "kill switch"

• Please sign in to reply

8 replies to this topic
  • elmore55

TT Member

28 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 11, 2014 - 09:55 PM

So I did some research and didn't come up with much so, quick question for everyone, so I live in cincinnati down here for school and my wr426 is plated and covered to a supermoto. Currently I have a toggle switch hidden on the bike that is a secondary kill switch so without it flipped the bike wont start, I want to change that switch into a key set up for more safety. How would I go ablut doing this? Has anyone done this before? My original kill switch is still there mounted on my handle bars and works.

• Krannie McKranface
36,175 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2014 - 03:27 PM

ebay, any keyed mc switch

• flyandride

TT Silver Member

832 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I've done it with a couple of WRs using an ignition switch from Baja Designs.  I've had a cheap universal switch from ebay fall apart.  You want to wire a switch in parallel with the kill switch.  In the closed position the ignition is killed, open it runs. 

• elmore55

TT Member

28 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Would I just need a 2 wire one? Sense the secondary kill switch only had two wires running to it?

• flyandride

TT Silver Member

832 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 12, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Would I just need a 2 wire one? Sense the secondary kill switch only had two wires running to it?

Any 2 wire universal keyed switch will work as long as it is closed in the off position.  The BD switch has 4 wires to 2 switches in it. One pair is open in the off position and one pair is closed.  I used one pair for the ignition and one for the lighting.  I converted my bike to an all DC system.  

• elmore55

TT Member

28 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:51 PM

Alright so I got the Baja designs key switch, it has two wires coming off of it as shown.

http://www.amazon.co...1/dp/B000WJEKHI

So my question is, off of my wiring harness where the kill switch wires are I have FOUR wires, two that ran to the kill switch, and two that ran to the hidden toggle switch. So I would like to keep a kill switch on my bars and have the key switch, do I wire the switch to the two wires the toggle switch had and just leave my bar kill switch?

If that doesn't make sense tell me haha. And does it matter where each wire of each pair goes to as long as it's wired to the same device, same two to kill switch and same two to key switch?

• elmore55

TT Member

28 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 01, 2015 - 06:22 PM

image.jpg

Alright so I have the factory kill switch wired back up, just the two wires. The baja designs key switch I have has a plug on it, coming from the switch is 4 wires (red, black, green, black with white stripe) then it plugs into two wires, blue and black. How would I wire that up to work as a kill switch in a way, where when its on the bike runs and when its off you cant start it.

The  black wire and black with white stripe are factory kill switch wires which I now have wired to my handlebar kill switch and the other plug pictured is the headlight plug, I know some have ran the key switch with that. Whats best to do?

Edited by elmore55, February 01, 2015 - 06:35 PM.

• bobpara

TT Bronze Member

307 posts

Posted February 02, 2015 - 07:43 AM

Either way (cheap ebay or Baja) this should be a really simple job in that a kill switch is usually just one wire connected to ground to kill bike

If the key switch clamps to something makes the ground, its poss just 1 wire connected to the switch

That about all you current kill switch should do

If not, your new key switch will need the same 'pin out' as your toggle switch now has

ie, it needs to make the same connections (or opens) when the key is actuated

You have to understand how your current kill switch works first in order to replicate its action

• Speedy16

TT Newbie

1 posts

Posted November 16, 2016 - 12:57 PM

Any 2 wire universal keyed switch will work as long as it is closed in the off position. The BD switch has 4 wires to 2 switches in it. One pair is open in the off position and one pair is closed. I used one pair for the ignition and one for the lighting. I converted my bike to an all DC system.

Would you be able to elaborate on this a little more for me? I'm currently trying to accomplish the same thing and am running into some confusion. Any help would be much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.