2008 WR450F Fork service - replacing valves

3 replies to this topic
  • Ledrocnoc

Posted October 11, 2014 - 04:26 PM

Just got some Gold Valves for my 2008 WR450F, and I am wondering what's the procedure to do the surgery and if any special tools are required.

The procedure looks pretty simple up the the removal of the base rod.  Basically here is what I figured out (since I will more or less working out of a shed, the order is probably not the one that people are used to...)

• Remove front wheel / handlebar / fork protector / whatever else is in the way.
  • Unscrew rebound screw all the way.
  • Loosen top triple clamp bolts, keep lower ones on.
  • Unscrew top cap - What size wrench's needed there?
  • (here I am going keep the fork leg on the bike because I don't have a vise...).
  • Unscrew top cap, pull top cap out an inch or so.
  • Using flat wrench (under the top cap) to hold the damper rod, unscrew top cap.
  • Remove spring
  • Remove base valve assembly (14mm wrench - can anyone confirm?)

Now here is my problem....  I am not sure how to hold the damper rod to prevent it from turning while I unscrew the base valve...  I looked at the Yamaha service manual and it shows that a "Damper Rod Holder" is needed to hold the damper rod (!)  The part number is YM-01494 and they seem to be pricey. There is a thread on the forum about making your own with a PVC pipe, but it's unclear what diameter is actually needed with the 08 forks (48mm).  And I won't have access to a impact wrench either.

• Once the base valve assembly is removed, let the oil drain (pump the fork a few times if needed)

Once the base valve assembly is out, the Yamaha manual is very light (nothing!) on how to remove / take apart the Base Valve assembly but this video from Race Tech seems to have most of the information.  Is it pretty accurate?

What else am I missing?

Thanks.

Denis

• DPete

Posted October 11, 2014 - 05:08 PM

There are some vids on race techs site, look at the top of the home page in the "how to" drop down

Edited by DPete, October 11, 2014 - 05:08 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted October 11, 2014 - 05:09 PM

Just got some Gold Valves for my 2008 WR450F, and I am wondering what's the procedure to do the surgery and if any special tools are required.

The procedure looks pretty simple up the the removal of the base rod.  Basically here is what I figured out (since I will more or less working out of a shed, the order is probably not the one that people are used to...)

• Remove front wheel / handlebar / fork protector / whatever else is in the way.
  • Unscrew rebound screw all the way.
  • Loosen top triple clamp bolts, keep lower ones on.
  • Unscrew top cap - What size wrench's needed there?
  • (here I am going keep the fork leg on the bike because I don't have a vise...).
  • Unscrew top cap, pull top cap out an inch or so.
  • Using flat wrench (under the top cap) to hold the damper rod, unscrew top cap.
  • Remove spring
  • Remove base valve assembly (14mm wrench - can anyone confirm?)

Now here is my problem....  I am not sure how to hold the damper rod to prevent it from turning while I unscrew the base valve...  I looked at the Yamaha service manual and it shows that a "Damper Rod Holder" is needed to hold the damper rod (!)  The part number is YM-01494 and they seem to be pricey. There is a thread on the forum about making your own with a PVC pipe, but it's unclear what diameter is actually needed with the 08 forks (48mm).  And I won't have access to a impact wrench either.

• Once the base valve assembly is removed, let the oil drain (pump the fork a few times if needed)

Once the base valve assembly is out, the Yamaha manual is very light (nothing!) on how to remove / take apart the Base Valve assembly but this video from Race Tech seems to have most of the information.  Is it pretty accurate?

What else am I missing?

Thanks.

Denis

I don't think your missing too much it's in the instructions and the video. However I believe you need an impact wrench to remove the base valve. To be honest I think you could take them anywhere and have someone zip them off. It is a large allen to 1/2" impact you need. You may not even need to pull the forks apart any further.

You will need to file the stud on the base valve as it's penned. I think it's all in the instructions.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 11, 2014 - 05:43 PM

On sss forks when you push the lower tube up, it exposes the damper tube, which has a flat spot. If you hold that flat spot with a wrench, you can easily turn off the bottom nut.

I think your fork will be similar. The flat spot may be too thin for a conventional wrench. If so you nay need to grind the wrench thinner.

This is all detailed with pictures in the racetech suspension bible. Its worth every cent.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 11, 2014 - 06:11 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.