Trading my YFZ, what year should I trade for?

8 replies to this topic
  • mrjata

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:06 PM

I have searched the pages looking for answers.  I am thinking of trading my YFZ450 for a YZ450F.  After having double knee surgery, I can't get all wadded up to ride the YFZ I just built and never got to ride.  Some of the perks of getting old.  Then again, I don't need ramps to load my stuff either.

You all know the ins and outs of the years and the beast, teach me o great OB1.  What years do I want and why?  Injection pros and cons??

This will mostly be a fence checker and an occasional flogging will be in order.  Too old for the MX tracks and there is one just south of me about 10 miles.

I love this site, so much help and great people.

• Baldwin

Posted October 10, 2014 - 02:18 AM

I got an old 2002 YZ426 this year and I absolutely love it. It was cheap, runs like new, and goes like snot. I trail ride 99%.

I've ridden Yamaha my entire life and they are all I will ever buy. The reliability of all my machines (snowmobiles, atvs, dirtbike, motorcycle, boat engines) has been outstanding. I will never question Yamaha reliability so I don't think that should play a factor in your decision.

My advice would be to get a 2006-2009 450 if you don't mind having a carburated bike or a 2010+ if you want EFI. Aftermarket support is shrinking for the 1998-2002 426cc and 400cc bikes.

Old rule of thumb is to get the newest bike you can afford.

But are you sure you want a MX bike to begin with after double knee surgery? After a good day of riding I can feel it in every area of my body.

• mrjata

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:15 AM

I got an old 2002 YZ426 this year and I absolutely love it. It was cheap, runs like new, and goes like snot. I trail ride 99%.

I've ridden Yamaha my entire life and they are all I will ever buy. The reliability of all my machines (snowmobiles, atvs, dirtbike, motorcycle, boat engines) has been outstanding. I will never question Yamaha reliability so I don't think that should play a factor in your decision.

My advice would be to get a 2006-2009 450 if you don't mind having a carburated bike or a 2010+ if you want EFI. Aftermarket support is shrinking for the 1998-2002 426cc and 400cc bikes.

Old rule of thumb is to get the newest bike you can afford.

But are you sure you want a MX bike to begin with after double knee surgery? After a good day of riding I can feel it in every area of my body.

I can handle the MX bike style.  Some days the starting is a challenge.  Fixed: park on the hill.  Bikes let me stretch out a bit.  That yfz is just too short for me now. (6'4" 280 farmer)  Just too much of a squat.  Getting old I guess.

Carb bike is no biggy for me.  Rather used to carbs anyway.  I don't need a laptop or some programmer to tune it for me.  Seat of the pants, listen and read plugs.  Yup, old school.  Besides I got my share of reading plugs when I ran a racing fuel company.  Alcohol plugs are the worst!!

thanks for the input.  just what I was thinking too...

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:21 PM

My 09 is a dream in the woods after some woods goodies added. 09 is the last year for carb I think on the 450

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtrain730

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Why wouldn't you look for a wr. Little tamer electric start wouldn't that fit the bill better than a motocross bike. If your trading a yfz partly because of knee issues I would think a yz 450 would be a step in the wrong direction. I might be wrong or not understanding. Also if you do get it and go out and ride it aggressively some times get some knee braces.

• mrjata

Posted October 10, 2014 - 07:45 PM

Why wouldn't you look for a wr. Little tamer electric start wouldn't that fit the bill better than a motocross bike. If your trading a yfz partly because of knee issues I would think a yz 450 would be a step in the wrong direction. I might be wrong or not understanding. Also if you do get it and go out and ride it aggressively some times get some knee braces.

My problem is at my size 6'4", I can't bend my knees back like I used to to sit down anymore.  The bikes let me stretch out a bit and in a different position.  It is just the bending back of my knees I can't do.  Squat over 400 but just can't get that bend back anymore, at least not yet.

Knee braces have never been a thought, but might look into them.  I had massive arthritis (i.e. intense bone scraping part of surgery), and some loose meniscus tissue removal.  28 years playing catcher takes its toll.  Martial arts for 30+ years will do it too.  

the electric sounds tempting, really.  Tame is not a word I use very often.  I tend to be hard on tires, chains, gears......  Just not that much into jumping.  When I come down, stuff breaks.

• Mtrain730

Posted October 10, 2014 - 08:18 PM

I understand what you are saying makes sense about bending your knees. By tamer I don't mean a wr is a dog. I assume you have rode a yz the 450 have explosive power and is actually a challenge to ride any way other than balls out. I ride track and trail I'm 33 and have a pretty major knee surgery on one knee if I didn't ride track I wouldn't buy a yz450 or any of the 450 mx bikes and I love my bike. I would get a bike like a wr. Good luck with what ever you choose man. Any bike is better than no bike at all. I would say try to at least take what ever you are gonna trade for a test ride to see if if it meets your needs.

• mrjata

Posted October 11, 2014 - 08:50 AM

I understand what you are saying makes sense about bending your knees. By tamer I don't mean a wr is a dog. I assume you have rode a yz the 450 have explosive power and is actually a challenge to ride any way other than balls out. I ride track and trail I'm 33 and have a pretty major knee surgery on one knee if I didn't ride track I wouldn't buy a yz450 or any of the 450 mx bikes and I love my bike. I would get a bike like a wr. Good luck with what ever you choose man. Any bike is better than no bike at all. I would say try to at least take what ever you are gonna trade for a test ride to see if if it meets your needs.

Oh, I not a stranger to bikes.  I have a YZ250, a KX250 (pos in the works, see other posts), a Softail.  Used to race 100cc open karts.  Explosive is just fine with me.  Thought a 4 stroker would be a nice change.

Edited by mrjata, October 11, 2014 - 08:50 AM.

• cowboyona426

Posted October 12, 2014 - 07:56 AM

I would agree with the advice to go with a WR.  The 02 and prior bikes without an auto decomp cam fitted can be a royal pain to start, and the later ones with auto decomp still take a pretty healthy kick especially if the motor is cold.  I would think the e-button would be perfect for you, and with a few simple mods you can get the power up to YZ levels.  The only draw back is the weight but shouldn't be too big of a deal for the use you're describing.  The 12+ WR's are sweet if you can swing one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.