.....dang.....

25 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Well, the internal noises from my 2008 WR450F are getting to the point that I am afraid that something will come flying through the cases soon.

I am going to have Paul as ASRacing tear down the entire motor, and mic and inspect everything.

Most likely I will be replacing the crank and some bearings, and a top end, if it is time.

Pics to follow.

• stevethe

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:27 AM

Gotta be less expensive than waiting.

• GP1K

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:38 AM

That doesn't sound good (pun intended). Hope it's nothing too serious (meaning expen$ive).

• deafrider250f

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:56 AM

i wish I could hear some of these noises most people hear... And it sucks to have a yami in the ER... :(

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:46 AM

I tried to record the noises, but there is too much auto-compression and level adjustment on a phone or camera to make it a useable recording

• deafrider250f

Posted October 09, 2014 - 05:41 PM

I'm okay on the sound clip... It would not do me any good unless I watch it on the IMAX sound system :) for example....

• RockerYZWR

Posted October 09, 2014 - 05:44 PM

i wish I could hear some of these noises most people hear... And it sucks to have a yami in the ER... :(

I bet you could "hear" abnormal noises by feel and your other senses just as well as others can hear them with their ears. Kind of like the premise behind "Blind Fury."

• deafrider250f

Posted October 09, 2014 - 05:47 PM

I bet you could "hear" abnormal noises by feel and your other senses just as well as others can hear them with their ears. Kind of like the premise behind "Blind Fury."

Spot on!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Yup. Feel is the first thing for me.

I can 'feel' the crank grinding away through my feet and ankles, and the clutch throw-out in my balls. 

It's like riding one of those reclining massage chairs at the car wash.

• RockerYZWR

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:21 PM

I can 'feel' the crank grinding away through my feet and ankles, and the clutch throw-out in my balls.

You should put a coin-op mechanism on the side of that thing and chain it down outside the front door of your local Vons. Retirement plan - check.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:33 PM

Whatever became of the debris you found in your oil filter ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:06 AM

Whatever became of the debris you found in your oil filter ?

Um, the debris went in the trash

Seriously, most particles were ferrous metal, as were the mushroom of debris found on the magnetic drain plug.

Since Yamaha does not use the Bronzing process on their cranks, you don't get the tell-tale 'gold-dust' when the crank bushing starts to go, (like with Honda) so it's pretty tought to know exactly where the debris comes from......but the 'clunk-clunk' from the general direction of the crank kind of gives it away....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 10, 2014 - 02:38 PM

....IT MIGHT be cheaper to buy a whole used low-hour '08 and transfer over the 'good' parts..... cause then everything, not just a dozen motor parts....would be 'fresh'. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 11, 2014 - 11:20 AM

Um, the debris went in the trash

Seriously, most particles were ferrous metal, as were the mushroom of debris found on the magnetic drain plug.
Since Yamaha does not use the Bronzing process on their cranks, you don't get the tell-tale 'gold-dust' when the crank bushing starts to go, (like with Honda) so it's pretty tought to know exactly where the debris comes from......but the 'clunk-clunk' from the general direction of the crank kind of gives it away....

So the crank went out in your engine ? Are you rebuilding it stock or ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 11, 2014 - 02:23 PM

Not sure yet

• deafrider250f

Posted October 12, 2014 - 11:17 AM

Stroke it!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 16, 2014 - 05:19 AM

What I expect to replace

Crank set

Piston set

...at least (4) trans shaft bearings

Shift drum

(1) shift fork

Clutch pack

Clutch cable

Clutch perch (ASV)

What I will also replace

DHR triple clamps (too stiff), back to stock (ebay)

Billet wheels and black Excels (too black/over kill strength), back to stock (ebay)

GPR damper (too crappy), change to Scotts and BRP

Bars, back to CR High 

IMS tank; replace leaky one with non-leaky used one (ebay)

What I will achieve:

Same bike, less problems, less 'clunky-thuddy' sounding motor, better throttle response (crank is dragging BADly), less stiff ride up front, better clutch feel and pull,  Shiny-shiny lighter wheels, no more 'ohshit' moments eliminating the GRP damper

Cost: $2k-sih.

Why put $2k in a old bike? Why not buy an FI?  Cause they are too small for me.

• avlisj

Posted October 16, 2014 - 06:09 AM

2012+ Wr450 small?!?

• KennyMc

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:02 AM

What I expect to replace

Crank set
Piston set
...at least (4) trans shaft bearings
Shift drum
(1) shift fork
Clutch pack
Clutch cable
Clutch perch (ASV)

What I will also replace

DHR triple clamps (too stiff), back to stock (ebay)
Billet wheels and black Excels (too black/over kill strength), back to stock (ebay)
GPR damper (too crappy), change to Scotts and BRP
Bars, back to CR High
IMS tank; replace leaky one with non-leaky used one (ebay)

What I will achieve:

Same bike, less problems, less 'clunky-thuddy' sounding motor, better throttle response (crank is dragging BADly), less stiff ride up front, better clutch feel and pull, Shiny-shiny lighter wheels, no more 'ohshit' moments eliminating the GRP damper

Cost: $2k-sih.

Why put $2k in a old bike? Why not buy an FI? Cause they are too small for me.

Bill, PM sent on the rims.

• pterry

Posted October 16, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Rumor mill has it that you replaced it with a KTM 350.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.