2012 wr450f bearing locked up

32 replies to this topic
  • mattpann

Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Has anyone bought parts from international Moto parts it seems they are a lot cheaper than in Australia

• mattpann

Posted November 21, 2014 - 04:06 AM

Just finished putting it back together new crank assembly and crank bearings and it's going good

• revelc

Posted November 21, 2014 - 06:05 AM

How much did it end up setting you back?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2014 - 06:22 AM

I have the under at  $1685.00

• mattpann

Posted November 22, 2014 - 12:18 AM

The parts cost me 900aud with a big gun Eco slip on not to bad really. I got the parts from motoparts In hollywood online highly recommend for pricing. I used all genuine Yamaha parts as well.

Edited by mattpann, November 22, 2014 - 12:29 AM.

• mattpann

Posted December 16, 2014 - 12:07 AM

I just pressed the crank apart man all that was left was the needle rollers. The bearing cage totally gone not even a shard of it to be seen except the piece stuck in the oil journal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chaconne

Posted December 16, 2014 - 05:15 PM

I just pressed the crank apart man all that was left was the needle rollers. The bearing cage totally gone not even a shard of it to be seen except the piece stuck in the oil journal.

Wow. Not good.

• mch

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:45 PM

What kind of oil did you run in it?

• mattpann

Posted December 16, 2014 - 08:46 PM

What kind of oil did you run in it?

I was using belrays thumper oil

• mch

Posted December 17, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Weird you had that kind of failure with such low miles, and quality oil.  Perhaps oil pump failure?  Make sure you change that out too.

• mattpann

Posted December 19, 2014 - 05:54 PM

Weird you had that kind of failure with such low miles, and quality oil. Perhaps oil pump failure? Make sure you change that out too.

Oil pump was fine

• cubera

Posted December 22, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Hi all
I found the problem and am not happy.
Turns out the bottom end bearing is seized. I know what you all are thinking lack of oil.
I have change the oil in this bike 10 times in 2500km and the bottom end was wet as when I pulled it apart. I am thinking it had a problem from new.
Now I have to wait until I have enough money to replace the bottom end as I've just had open heart surgery 6 months ago and haven't worked since.
Just my luck I guess.
Thanks

Glad you got it all fixed and up and going again. I think you're right about this being a problem from the factory but it's a rare problem on a Yamaha. I just took apart the clutch on my 2013 and it's totally roached. Basket and inner hub are badly notched and the surfaces on the basket and pressure plate are grooved. I'll take pictures of it all when I get the parts in and replace them. It's a great idea to get a magnetic plug. That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the damaged parts.

Edited by cubera, December 22, 2014 - 10:13 AM.

• mattpann

Posted December 22, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Glad you got it all fixed and up and going again. I think you're right about this being a problem from the factory but it's a rare problem on a Yamaha. I just took apart the clutch on my 2013 and it's totally roached. Basket and inner hub are badly notched and the surfaces on the basket and pressure plate are grooved. I'll take pictures of it all when I get the parts in and replace them. It's a great idea to get a magnetic plug. That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the damaged parts.

My clutch was really good no signs of any ware at all

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.