Cam journal wear

3 replies to this topic
  • R_Little

Posted January 31, 2004 - 04:54 PM

I just YZ timed my WR and noticed an intake was a touch under .006. So I yanked the intake cam. When I pulled the cam cap it came up with the cam attached. A little push on the cam and it all came apart ok.

I did notice the center journal, both the cap and the head, has bit of scoring that the other jounals do not have. It is easy to see and if I run my finger over it, I can just feel it. It is scored the same on both sides of the journal.

How much wear is permissible here. Should I be worried? I figure If I can turn the cam by hand I should be okay.

What do you guys think?

• R_Little

Posted February 01, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Put the cams back in and noticed that while the exhaust cam turns with moderate pressure, the intake cam takes a good two hands to turn. I realize the intake has 2 plain journals to the exhaust cams 1, but the it still seems tight. How easy should it be to turn?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted February 01, 2004 - 12:14 PM

this guy can do miracles w/ your aluminum head & journals!!!

the cost is a FRACTION of replacement!!

• R_Little

Posted February 02, 2004 - 05:19 AM

I'm going to call him.

How did the repair on your cam journals work out?
Did he reweld and recut new journals or did he mill the head and recut?

My buckets come right out okay so I don't think the damage is too bad. It just looks like the cap is a touch off center or too tight. Maybe I starved it for oil for second or two. I just don't want to put it together and wear it some more.

I'm gonna send it to ED. Got any tips on the best way to get the head off a 400/426?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.