Over heating loss of coolant, won't idle, difficult hot starting

5 replies to this topic
  • kenmin007

Posted October 08, 2014 - 05:31 PM

I was trail riding and the engine bogged and stalled. Difficult to start after, once started rode back to vehicle. Noticed loss of coolant in radiator. Since then difficult to start. Engine will not idle below 3500 RMP even in neutral. Engine running very hot when riding loosing coolant from over flow tube. Need some help. If anyone had similar issues I would like to know. Thanks in advance for your help.

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Lean idle mixture kind of problem.  Check to see if it can be corrected with the idle screw.  If not, a dirty pilot jet, blocked passageways, air leaks in the intake, or tight intake valves may be the cause.

• kenmin007

Posted October 09, 2014 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for your information. The bike is your YZ450F 2006 has FMF exhaust with Wisco 13.2 high compression piston. The jetting on the bike is 170 main with 48 pilot standard needle in 5th position. The idle screw is completely closed if I open the idle screw it is difficult to start. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Arizo

Posted October 11, 2014 - 12:26 PM

I had also the problem high idling and overheating. The seals from my carb where flat and hard. Maybe you also have a vacum leak

• kenmin007

Posted October 12, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Took off carburetor today to clean it. When re assembling I noticed that the valve plate was upside down. There is a hole on the plate and I had it on the top. When I cleaned it last time I reassembled it wrong. Idles good now however when I went for a test drive it died and was difficult to start. I will check it tomorrow, starting to get frustrated. Just want to ride.

• Arizo

Posted October 19, 2014 - 02:51 AM

I had the same with my previous carb. The plate was also upside down by the previous owner. Ok i can understand i had the same with my bike

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.