wr450f 2013 electronic fuel injection HELP!

11 replies to this topic
  • b.rad.81

Posted October 06, 2014 - 12:17 PM

so not sure if this is related or just a coincidence but my bike was running perfectly before i lost the radiator cap ( due to me not screwing it on after checking the fluid and loading the bike onto the trailer before a 2 hour drive... )  

so i eventually replaced it with another yamaha model cap and now it seems to cut out after 2 or 3 mins of riding pretty much when it heats up, i can let it cool down for ten mins and the same will happen it just keeps on cutting out the radiator cap i have on it is pressurised to 1.1 

living in PNG i don't have a mechanic to take it to nor do i have any other bikes to compare it to..... i need my wheels please help!

• mch

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:51 AM

What do you mean "it starts cutting out?"  Do you think you overheated it?  If so, maybe a warped head?  Is your exhaust smoking, oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, etc.?

I don't think your current radiator cap has anything to do with your current problem.

• b.rad.81

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the reply,

I replaced the coolant before my last ride but didn't take any notice of it I will check that and the oil for any signs of water or coolant mixed in.
Ever since I bought the bike it has run hot so in answer to yr question yes it has over heated on many occasions but It's never fully cooked.
As far as the cutting out issue it will run perfectly for about 10 mins and then just cut off as if I've just hit the kill switch and won't kick over for at least 5 mins

• cracker please

Posted October 07, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Maybe the fuel hose is pinched if you've had the tank off recently.  I think someone on here was having symptoms kind of like that.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 08, 2014 - 03:10 PM

You may have damaged the Temp sensor in the Throttle body but getting the motor too hot.

Or, your tip-over sensor is failing

Or, your' fuel cap vent is no longer venting, causing vapor lock

A missing radiator cap, by itself, cannot cause your symptoms.

• vlxjim

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yea I think the tip over (lean angle) sensor is sticking,

Is it cutting off at idle? If so you need to make sure the the idle is set at 2000 RPMs. If not, your not moving water and your off the fuel setting in the ECU for starting and idling properly.  

Edited by vlxjim, October 09, 2014 - 10:14 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mattpann

Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:48 PM

You may have damaged the Temp sensor in the Throttle body but getting the motor too hot.
Or, your tip-over sensor is failing
Or, your' fuel cap vent is no longer venting, causing vapor lock

A missing radiator cap, by itself, cannot cause your symptoms.

The tip over switch only lets the engine run for 30 seconds when malfunctioning. Then you have to reset it by turning the ignition off and then on again. Only know about this as my 2012 model's stuffed up and I bridged it out.

• b.rad.81

Posted October 29, 2014 - 05:02 PM

CBA
CBAvu

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 29, 2014 - 06:15 PM

The coolant temp sensor is on the backside of the engine cylinder.

The ambient air temp sensor is by the air box snorkel.

The manifold pressure sensor is in the throttle body.

• b.rad.81

Posted October 30, 2014 - 12:44 AM

T
T

• b.rad.81

Posted November 01, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Thanks a lot to every body that took the time to help me out with this problem but I have now fixed it...... All this was related to a fouled up plug when I pulled it out I noticed the gap was about 1.5mm i changed the plug and reset the gap and now it runs like new again.....
Once again cheers guys

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 01, 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks a lot to every body that took the time to help me out with this problem but I have now fixed it...... All this was related to a fouled up plug when I pulled it out I noticed the gap was about 1.5mm i changed the plug and reset the gap and now it runs like new again.....
Once again cheers guys

brap426 ??

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.