Spring rate help?

2 replies to this topic
  • Hart0506

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hey all,
So I just bought a 2008 yz450f... It's my first dirtbike and in quite new to the whole thing.. It al seems pretty straight forward with regards to maintenance and up keep. My only issue is the stock springs, I weight 230 without gear, and around 250 dressed.. I used two different calculators that gave me two differnt rates... One was 6.2 rear and .52 front.. Other was 6.4 and .54... I'm leaning towards the 6.4 and .54 because although I'm a beginner I do enjoy riding fast. Can anyone shed some light on spring rates for me.. I don't trust the calculators and everyone tells me different things on the topic. I just need a reliable source to tel me if I'm close or not

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • f150jokerstyle

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:18 PM

Hey all,
So I just bought a 2008 yz450f... It's my first dirtbike and in quite new to the whole thing.. It al seems pretty straight forward with regards to maintenance and up keep. My only issue is the stock springs, I weight 230 without gear, and around 250 dressed.. I used two different calculators that gave me two differnt rates... One was 6.2 rear and .52 front.. Other was 6.4 and .54... I'm leaning towards the 6.4 and .54 because although I'm a beginner I do enjoy riding fast. Can anyone shed some light on spring rates for me.. I don't trust the calculators and everyone tells me different things on the topic. I just need a reliable source to tel me if I'm close or not

I paid to have my stuff sprung and valved and I don't know what they put in the front but I can tell you I have a 6.2 in the rear. I'm 225-230 street clothes 6'2, intermediate desert guy and I go faster than I should on a regular basis lol. I'm very happy with my setup. So I would lean towards the 6.2 and .52 possibly. 

• Hart0506

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:10 AM

Thanks! I ordered the 6.4 and .54 because I plan on setting my bike up for woods riding as the closest track or sand pit to me is over an hour away but there is trails everywhere around my house. So I went with the stiffer spring just because it's harder terrain.. Appreciate the feed back. We you said desert riding I immediately thought to go stiffer because there isn't much desert around here! I live in Newfoundland canada!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.