new piston

4 replies to this topic
  • rocky1980

Posted October 06, 2014 - 01:26 AM

hi guys i have a 2003 yz450f due to a little smoke i have just got a new pro x h/c piston kit and i have sent the barrel of for re-plate, whats the best approach to breaking in the new piston? i have seen a few different ways online and I'm unsure which one.

1: yamaha manual way

2: take it steady

3: ride it like a mad man

• mdsharon

Posted October 06, 2014 - 12:04 PM

hi guys i have a 2003 yz450f due to a little smoke i have just got a new pro x h/c piston kit and i have sent the barrel of for re-plate, whats the best approach to breaking in the new piston? i have seen a few different ways online and I'm unsure which one.

1: yamaha manual way

2: take it steady

3: ride it like a mad man

Heat cycle it a few times, ride it like you stole  it!!!  lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rocky1980

Posted October 06, 2014 - 01:27 PM

Heat cycle it a few times, ride it like you stole  it!!!  lol

heat cycle whats the procedure? just double checking before i bugger it lol

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2014 - 02:11 PM

Start the engine and run it for a minute.  Shut it off, check everything over.

Start it up and ride it easy for 4-5 minutes while it warms up, then take it for a 10 minute romp at around 50-60% of it's capacity.  Don't lug it, don't rev it out.  Park it, check things over again, take a 10 minute break.

Fire it up again and spend 15-20 minutes at around 80% of its capacity.  Take another 10 minute break. 

Break-in is now over.  Change the oil after the first hour.

• rocky1980

Posted October 07, 2014 - 01:22 AM

brilliant will give it a go thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.