'03 wr450 one way assembly help!?!

7 replies to this topic
  • Ogzer707

Posted October 05, 2014 - 09:31 AM

I've been having starter issues. Did the '04 starter gear upgrade. Bought a new ricks custom starter. Still grinding noise. Took out flywheel to look at starter clutch and one way assembly. IN my manual it says counterclockwise it should engage most of the time it does. Not all the time though and I noticed a flat spot in the assembly. See picture. Will this cause all my damn starting issues???

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Ogzer707, October 05, 2014 - 09:55 AM.

• GuyGraham

Posted October 05, 2014 - 09:42 AM

all of the rollers or just the one?

if one should be ok, but if all of them, then its scrap

• Ogzer707

Posted October 05, 2014 - 09:53 AM

Yeah it's just the one. I'm still trying to find out why my assembly doesn't engage all the time. It's the only visible damage that I could find. Thanks

• GuyGraham

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:10 AM

If its not engaging everytime when you try rotating it counter clockwise by hand then its got a problem, whether its visible or not

Whats the starter gear surface like where the rollers engage - scored / damaged?

This surface needs to be unmarked

Edited by GuyGraham, October 05, 2014 - 10:36 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • orangyktmthing

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:11 AM

It never would hurt to replace the bearing assy.

• Ogzer707

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the help fellas. So how do you remove the bearing housing from flywheel rotor?

• GuyGraham

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:37 AM

Don't think you can replace the 'bearing' assy out of them. Its sold as a complete unit if it needs replacing

part number 5TJ155900000

There's 6 bolts which hold it to the back of the rotor

Edited by GuyGraham, October 05, 2014 - 10:44 AM.

• Ogzer707

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for your help! Bearings aren't looking too good. Ima order a new assembly. Thanks again for the help

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.