04 WR450 fork extension question

4 replies to this topic
  • qposner

Posted October 04, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Ive had my front wheel off for a few days and just went out to notice that my right fork is extended to such a distance that the fork guard/shield has come apart. The left side has not extended to the same length. ISeems this would not be normal since if the bike were completely unweighted, it could extend to this length and the guard/shield would come apart.

Is this normal of could I have a fork problem?

• mch

Posted October 04, 2014 - 08:57 PM

It shouldn't go down that far.  Pull the fork off and loosen the top fork cap.  I haven't been in that type of fork for many years, but I think that middle rod screws up into that top cap.  It either loosened up and came off, or something totally broke like the valve stack or the top piece (looks like a pipe with a crown / ring on the top) where the fork spring sits on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qposner

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I put the wheel back on before I saw this post. The fork compressed easy enough until normal length and then exhibited more normal stiffness. So, it sounds like I have a problem for sure?????

• mch

Posted October 05, 2014 - 09:05 PM

I think so.. what happens when you are flying through the air and the fork gets locked up on the fork guard or the internals lock.  Not hard to check, just to be on the safe side.  There are a lot of youtube videos.

• qposner

Posted October 06, 2014 - 03:56 AM

Thanks. I'll check the videos out for sure.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.