Thumper Racing in Texas

30 replies to this topic
  • PowerFiend

Posted February 06, 2004 - 12:49 PM

you need to think of what you will do if you need another piston in the future. wiseco will have standard overbore sizes. "cutting down" a piston should not be an option. to alter something like a piston is asking for trouble. it sounds like they need to press in the correct sleeve (94mm) or give you a new jug. they screwed up, not you. just my two cents.

Agreed, have them get you a new cylinder. Then send it off to Eric Gorr and get it bored and replated like it should have been. :) Steel sleeves are old technology. :D

• beezer

Posted February 06, 2004 - 04:44 PM

Why would Wiesco stop making pistons?

They are in the business of selling pistons. They don't take the forging dies and toss them in the garbage. Either Thumper dosn't want to buy the minimum quantity from Wiesco or they aren't paying their bills.

Some of these aftermarket companies suck.

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted February 06, 2004 - 05:04 PM

give millenium technolgies a call.tell them whats going on.they saved a TR ruined cylinder for me.the use aluminum sleeve replate them.they do out standing work.

• SXP

Posted February 07, 2004 - 06:27 AM

Don't know, but your guess about minimum quantities makes sense. The owner of Thumper Racing says they still sell some of the 430 kits (it's just when I order it they don't seem to be able to live up to their advertised claim)

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted February 09, 2004 - 07:24 AM

The pistons larger than 94mm (417cc) made for the 400 rod tended to be on the heavy side compared to the weight of the OEM 92mm piston. The additional rod stress that came with this extra weight caused a lot of catostrophic rod failures on engines with a lot of hours. The failure was most often seen as an elastic limit break about 30mm or so from the small end. The rod basically pulled apart like silly putty. The YZFs have always been pretty robust engines so riders tend to go too long before servicing the crank. Taking a high mileage rod and cranking up the stresses by approx ~600 lbs with a heavier piston is a great way to learn about downstroke inertial loads and metal fatigue. :) It's not a coincidence that Yamaha changed the connecting rod when they designed the 426 with a 95mm piston. The 426 connecting is an easy retrofit and is something we recommend for anyone who is going to a big bore on a YZ400F.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • alfonso

Posted September 07, 2008 - 10:23 AM

Would anybody please, let me know about experience with 270 Thumper Racing's up grade for CRF's? Thanks...

• alfonso

Posted September 07, 2008 - 10:26 AM

Would anybody please, let me know about experience with 270 Thumper Racing's up grade for CRF's? Thanks...

• beezer

Posted September 08, 2008 - 09:38 AM

Alfonso this is a great place to ask about a CRF big bore kit!

I highly recomend the 270 kit.

It increases horsepressure by 238%!

• doctorchopper

Posted September 08, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Just a thought, but i'd demand a spare piston as well, just thinking of the future

• SXP

Posted September 08, 2008 - 06:12 PM

Gaawd! Way to resurrect an old thread. In case anyone read the whole thread and were wondering about the outcome, I ended up splitting the case and upgrading the crank with a 426 rod. I put about 8000 miles/350 hours on that bored out cylinder/piston and rod before I recently freshened up the top end. Still going strong!

• alfonso

Posted September 16, 2008 - 09:52 AM

Thanks to: Beezer, Doctorchopper and SXP for your answers...And,I have an another cuestion,Thumper Racing address?...Thanks in advance!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.