2014 YZ450F cracked case

11 replies to this topic
  • MESSMAKER

Posted October 01, 2014 - 02:38 PM

So i was out riding last weekend and cased a jump pretty good, and there must of been a rock or something cause I now have a cracked case just above where the drain plug is on the back of the motor. 

What I really want to know is, is can a person that is mechanically savvy and has worked on bikes for a long time handle this project? Do I need any special tools? If so are they expensive? Anything to replace while I'm in there? 

• Bremer120

Posted October 01, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Picture would be nice. How severe is the crack? Does oil pour out? Is there wetness on the case at all? If the crack isn't too severe you could repair or patch it with jb weld.

• MESSMAKER

Posted October 01, 2014 - 07:46 PM

All the oil was out in a matter of a couple hours. I will try and snap a few pics tomorrow.

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:48 AM

The job can be done by people such as you describe.  There are quite a few pieces involved, and attention to detail is important, but it's not outside the ability of anyone with slightly better than average skills.

You will need a flywheel puller, no question, at less than $20.  Other than that, you can get along pretty well without most of the other stuff.  Do have a manual handy, though.

• MESSMAKER

Posted October 03, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Here is a pic of the case

IMG_0060.jpeg

• grayracer513

Posted October 03, 2014 - 06:54 AM

If that was mine, it would come apart and go get welded and machined.  Either that, or new cases.  That's not the sort of thing that should be epoxied.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MESSMAKER

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Yeah Im going to be replacing with new cases. For both of them I can replace it for $616 from the dealer I purchased the bike through.

• drtrcr400

Posted October 03, 2014 - 11:35 AM

It's a nearly new bike, your making the right choice by fixing it correctly. Strong username to post content ratio btw!

• MESSMAKER

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:09 PM

It's a nearly new bike, your making the right choice by fixing it correctly. Strong username to post content ratio btw!

Not sure what you mean about the username. Anyway it was a nickname from when I was younger

• stevethe

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:20 PM

This guy looks like they fix cases. http://ctracing.net/.../shop-services/

• swaldrop

Posted October 05, 2014 - 08:50 AM

Not sure what you mean about the username. Anyway it was a nickname from when I was younger

While certainly not intentional, it looks like you have made a bit of a mess out of that case :)

Edited by swaldrop, October 05, 2014 - 08:50 AM.

• yzUSMCf

Posted October 11, 2014 - 02:31 AM

Dam that sucks man. I'm definitely getting a skid plate..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.