2008 WR 450 cam timing

3 replies to this topic
  • Kennoy

Posted October 01, 2014 - 10:34 AM

I have a 2008 wr450. Just did a valve adjust. Book says to line up the TDC timing mark (singular) on flywheel with the mark on the cover. Only problem is, there are 3 marks (plural) at TDC. Approx 1/8" apart. Which do I use?

• Dexter42

Posted October 01, 2014 - 11:53 AM

There's markings on the flywheel witch is what your referring to, there's marking on the cam gears (dot/s) and the lobes on the camshaft should be facing a certain way (away from each other i believe) and lastly look down the spark plug passage way and make sure you see the top of the piston. Don't base your tdc just on the flywheel marks.

Edited by Dexter42, October 01, 2014 - 11:54 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kennoy

Posted October 01, 2014 - 12:13 PM

There's markings on the flywheel witch is what your referring to, there's marking on the cam gears (dot/s) and the lobes on the camshaft should be facing a certain way (away from each other i believe) and lastly look down the spark plug passage way and make sure you see the top of the piston. Don't base your tdc just on the flywheel marks.

thanks but I am aware of all of that. My question only refers to the timing marks on the flywheel. There are three of them at TDC. Which one do I use. That's all I need to know. Thanks everything else is lined up

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 01, 2014 - 04:44 PM

There is an H with a wide middle that is used for timing ignition and then there is a mark to the right of the H that inidcates tdc.

I believe your 3 marks are the two ends of the H and the tdc mark. Use the tdc mark.

In reality it doesnt much matter because all these marks are closer tigether than 1 camshaft tooth. Thus as long as you can see one of them you will be fine.

Fyi, don't turn the engine backwards. It can damage the timing chain guides.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 01, 2014 - 04:46 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.