2014 WR tire change time!

14 replies to this topic
  • offrd beatr

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:18 AM

The stock MX51 tires on the '14 450 are all done. 300 miles. They have to be one of the worst tires ive ever used. What kind of tires are you guys using? Ive been looking at the IRC M5b as well as the Maxxis Si. The IRC is available in a huge 140 width, will that clear on our bikes?

I know this is a very opinion based subject so lets hear them. Thanks in advance!

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 29, 2014 - 02:24 PM

The m5b clears but rubs on my fmf pipe. A simple spacer on the back pipe mount fixes that. No biggie.

Awesome hookup. Works great with a knobby knife keeping it sharp. Cut the center knobs in half for riding on snotty trails.

• still2smokin

Posted September 29, 2014 - 03:28 PM

I am running the MB5 and love it  . The 130 clears the pipe , it's a pricey tire but worth it .

My next rear tire will be an MB5 and the one after that as well .

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 29, 2014 - 05:34 PM

My local dealer had a sale on m5bs. I bought 2 more. I wanted 140s but they were out. I got 130s instead. They are inexpensive when on sale.

Ive heard good things about Michelin S12s. Ive never tried one as they are much more expensive locally.

Im going to run a trials tire next summer.

My winter rear tire is a studded 130 m5b. The studs just clear.

The irc vuncanenduro ve33f iirc is excellent in snotty woods on the front. The m1a is the counterpart to the m5b, but its not as good in woods as the ve33f.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, September 29, 2014 - 05:46 PM.

• Wintyfresh

Posted September 29, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I'm swapping over to an XCMH front and Kenda K760 Trakmaster II rear, it's a relatively cheap setup that does well in the SoCal desert and is DOT legal. 

• offrd beatr

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I'm thinking the Michelin mh3 for the front

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I'm thinking the Michelin mh3 for the front

What kind of terrain do you ride ? 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jap338kx

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:59 AM

I love my mx52

• offrd beatr

Posted September 30, 2014 - 10:42 AM

It ends up being hard pack and some rocks most of the year. Going into the fall it tends to go soft pretty quickly. Typical high desert an some alpine/decomposed granite mountains.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 01, 2014 - 12:37 PM

It ends up being hard pack and some rocks most of the year. Going into the fall it tends to go soft pretty quickly. Typical high desert an some alpine/decomposed granite mountains.

I can't help you there.  Not sure the M5B is the best in those conditions either.

• supermega1

Posted October 04, 2014 - 02:23 PM

I run the Maxxis Desert IT in the Nevada desert and they work great. Rocks, sand, hard pack chews through everything. Way better then the Dunlops. I hated the Dunlop front.

• offrd beatr

Posted October 04, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Had one on my old 500 smoker, hated it. It would skate around and never hook up. Got most of its useful life out of it and put it on my xr400. It rules on that bike even used up like it is. Not sure how It will be on the wr. The durability is it's best feature though. I ended up with an ms3 Michelin on the front. I have used other soft terrain michelins in the past and appreciate the predictable and stable feel they have even though they wear relatively quickly. Waiting till next payday for the rear. Ahh, tough decisions to be made!!

Edited by offrd beatr, October 04, 2014 - 05:29 PM.

• offrd beatr

Posted October 19, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Ended up with the IRC M5B in a 140 width. This thing hooks up hard!! Did 50+ miles in some challenging terrain and it did very well. It does move around while just cruising but drives with authority on throttle. Braking was good and predictable. Will have to see how it holds up. It clears everything too!

Edited by offrd beatr, October 19, 2014 - 08:08 PM.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted March 19, 2015 - 05:39 PM

Just revisiting tire threads...  I really want MX52's but they killed the 18" size.  I ride in MN/WI and need an intermediate terrain tire.  Any other advice on rubber??  

• Andrew Puetz

Posted March 19, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Any experience with Washougals? Those look the part... 

Edited by Andrew Puetz, March 19, 2015 - 05:57 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.