looking at a 07 wr 450 this week, what should i look out for?

18 replies to this topic
  • essonlaker

Posted September 28, 2014 - 02:21 PM

my brother and I are looking at an 07 wr450 to go with our 03, replacing an 00 ttr 225 and an 02 xr 200.

how does an 07 compare to our 03? ours is all stock other then a Baja Designs street legal kit.

the one were going to look at has a Rekluse clutch, and full aluminum skid plate as well as new swingarm bushings, chain, sprockets, oversized gas tank, battery and grips.

what should I look out for on this bike? give me the good, bad, and ugly for 07 450's.

thanks

• wizbangdoodle

Posted September 28, 2014 - 03:00 PM

The typical stuff of course, wheel bearings, steering head and all suspension joints. Look at the carb and see if they have done anything to get rid of the bog (changed leak down jet etc). Ask what's been done to the suspension. I'm about 230 geared up and when I had my '07 it made a HUGE difference to have the forks done (Devol). Also changed the rear spring.

The bike is really a great bike. Doesn't do any 1 thing fantastic, but does everything very good. Fantastic all around bike, enjoy.

• essonlaker

Posted September 28, 2014 - 04:31 PM

awesome thanks, ad says a lot of maintenance items have been done like chain, sprockets, suspension and swingarm bushings, jetting done to correct lean jetting from Yamaha, suspension set up for 200 pound rider, battery, grips,

excited to go look at it, and hopefully buy and ride a properly set up trail missle. we got a buddy who happened to live a mile away from it look at it for us, (his son races, he's been into bikes all his life, knows his stuff) he liked what he saw and the owner seemed pretty big into riding, this is being replaced by a new KTM. if its as good as our buddy says it is and the owner is a serious rider who set up the bike for a rider my size then i'll own it for sure.

the only differences between it and our 03 I can see are positive (alum. frame). the 03 is bone stock other then the Baja Designs kit and acewell dash, going to get the forks done on it this winter buy a suspension guy out our way. we love the 03, perfect for the trail riding we do, linear powerband keeps the bike and rider in one piece, manageable in the technical and 50mph on a flatter trail feels leisurely. love it!

• SilvFx

Posted September 29, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Wizbang hit it on the head....just the usual stuff for wear and tear.  I usually keep all the orig parts for any bike I buy, so you might ask for those (esp the orig tank).  See if they have the factory service manual and all the jetting details.  If they are truly into the WR450's they can take you through all the free/low cost mods that were done and they will have the jetting that they are currently running (main jet, pilot jet, leak jet, which needle, which needle position, etc).  If I recall correctly, the '07 comes with a stock needle that has only 1 groove (to meet emissions along with an AIS system).  It should be replaced with the new needle that comes with the AIS block off kit...or replaced by a JD Jetting needle or at least an adjustable OEM needle.

One unusual thing about the '07 WR450F that I discovered when I read the TT forums in detail is to look at the air  filter cage.  Some of the '07's have a hole down through the middle of the air filter cage that allows unfiltered air to get in the airbox.  This was remedied for later years....but my '07 had that problem.  I didnt see any dust in the airbox nor any apparent damage....but make certain this has been fixed.  If not, make certain it doesnt look like it has sucked in a bunch of dust into the engine.  Fortunately, the metal wire/strap that holds the cage/filter in place tends to block most of this hole limiting the amt of dust that can pass through.  This will also give you a chance to see whether seller has bothered to do the easy maintenance items such as keeping the airbox/filter clean.

If it has the hole, you can either expoxy it or buy a new OEM cage for about $15.

Other than the aluminum frame making it a bitch to work on the carb, I found the  '07 WR450F very similar to my  '05 WR250F (along with all the free mods being largely the same).

• SilvFx

Posted September 29, 2014 - 10:00 AM

Also, find out what model of Rekluse autoclutch was installed.  Hopefully it is the Z-Start Pro.  The seller should have the installation instructions, extra springs, tuning sheets etc that came with this autoclutch.  In addition, they should have the OEM parts that were removed during install (should you decide to go back to a manual clutch).  If you dont want to keep the autoclutch, you should be able to sell use for $300-$350.

I dont have experience with the EXP 2.0 or EXP 3.0, but I dont think they are intended to work real well with the large bore 4 strokes (like the WR450F) and I have certainly read more tuning/slipping problems about them.  Part of the problem is that you are removing/replacing several friction disks with the EXP device.

If it has the top of the line autoclutch ($900 for CORE EXP) would be great as well and should hold up to the abuse from a WR450F.

• essonlaker

Posted September 29, 2014 - 05:12 PM

thanks for that awesome info, ad says it comes with all stock parts.

now how similar is this bike with our 03? will any of the stock parts that may be coming with result in some spare parts for both bikes? that would obviously be sweet.

so how do these Rekluse autoclutches work? how does it act compared to a stock clutch?

• wizbangdoodle

Posted September 29, 2014 - 05:30 PM

I don't know what's interchangeable between the 2, never owned an '03.

I also don't have a Rekluse, but a buddy of mine rides a CRF450 with one. It does away with having to use the clutch, which comes in handy in technical stuff where you generally have to feather the clutch. I've also heard of guys removing the clutch lever and moving the rear brake up to that lever.

• essonlaker

Posted September 29, 2014 - 05:41 PM

thanks for clearing that up, so much info on them, if this still has the clutch lever It will act normally if I use it? hoping so for the sake of getting used to it.

• wizbangdoodle

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Yes, I believe so. Anyone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FlaJoe50

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Good Evening

I saw your question about the Recluse clutch. I picked up a 03 WR450 (and shouldn't have) a little while back and it has a Recluse clutch in it. It still has the clutch lever attached, it has no pressure on it with the bike off. Once the bike is started and a idle you can put the bike in gear without it going anywhere. If you rev-up the motor and want to sit there with the bike I gear pull in the lever (as we have to do because the carb is not set up correctly), at this point you will feel the clutch pressure. Its pretty cool once you get used to it, It enables you to hit the gears real quick when running hard. I wouldn't mind putting one on m 07 XR650L, it would help out in the woods for sure.

• SilvFx

Posted September 30, 2014 - 11:04 AM

thanks for clearing that up, so much info on them, if this still has the clutch lever It will act normally if I use it? hoping so for the sake of getting used to it.

it will take you approx 30 seconds to get used to it.....  Think of it just like an automatic transmission that you have to manually shift through the gears.  At idle it disengages.  As you gas it and increase the rpms it engages just like driving an automatic transmisison in a car - but it will not shift up or down automatically.

The clutch lever still works as an absolute override.  If you want to be in gear and rev it, pull in the clutch.  If you pull in clutch lever and rev it beyond the engagement point and let out clutch it will work just like you are used to.  It will also take off on you if you dont have the clutch in, are in any gear other than neutral and decide to give it gas.

Very nice for single track or tight trails where you may want to crawl up some difficult terrain.  I also like it coming out of corners on slick roads, can run a gear higher and slingshot it out of corners.  Can run a gear higher even on single track without lugging it as well.  Try it, you will like it (but you will feel like you are somehow cheating).

The jeep guys go through the same dilemma.  Offroading is much easier with an auto transmission than stick shift, yet the purists feel like it is cheating or you arent a real enthusiast unless you can 4-wheel with a stick shift.

• wizbangdoodle

Posted September 30, 2014 - 03:03 PM

The hell with that. I'm old, I'll take any advantage I can get.

• essonlaker

Posted September 30, 2014 - 05:17 PM

thanks a lot for that info guys, I think a Rekluse and the sand pit with single track trails in the surrounding woods that's a couple miles from my house might get along quite nicely, along with the muddy rocky trails up at the family cottage.

my brother and I are gonna take any advantage we can get as well, remember were getting on 450's (hopefully both WR450's, were going to look at it Thursday night likely) and getting off a TT-R 225 and an XR200. we seem to be able to handle the 03 no problem but advantages never hurt

• DunmireD001

Posted October 01, 2014 - 03:31 AM

Like it's been said before, just look for the typical stuff. Compression, leaks, signs of wear/abuse. These bikes are very dependable so if they're taken care of they can last for 50k miles. It sounds like this one was owned by a series trail rider. (Hence the rekluse clutch, skid plate, and oversized fuel tank.) which can be a good thing because a lot of serious trail riders will maintain their bikes meticulously between rides. Of course most trail bikes see their fair share of abuse, (I know mine does) but if you keep up on the maintenance they'll keep going.

• essonlaker

Posted October 01, 2014 - 04:28 AM

with the riding we've already done on our 03 I believe it. our buddy that look at it for us already said the guy seemed pretty big into riding. if the motor sounds decent ( I know it'll be a bit noisy even if the valves were adjusted last week) and all maintenance parts the ad says are new appear to be and the guy seems straight up about the bike it'll be coming home. the price seems on par for a bike in my area without the extras, and this one has the extras with stock parts included and seems to be owned by a serious rider, like you say usually maintains.

• essonlaker

Posted October 03, 2014 - 04:30 PM

went to look at the bike last night, it was mechanically like new, she's in the garage. the guy was serious into riding, snorkels off of airbox, that EGR type emissions BS is removed, shorter throttle screw, seems to be jetted perfect. the Rekluse works mint and was installed by original owner when bike was  new, which means we got a new stock clutch in the garage, suspension is all race tech stuff.  took it for a ride down his street before purchase, then went down the trail and actually took it for a ride tonight, works great.

thanks for all the info gentlemen, now we get to do some fall riding, sell a TT-R 225 and XR 200, and get the 03 jetted and suspension stiffened up some.

• SilvFx

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:22 PM

went to look at the bike last night, it was mechanically like new, she's in the garage. the guy was serious into riding, snorkels off of airbox, that EGR type emissions BS is removed, shorter throttle screw, seems to be jetted perfect. the Rekluse works mint and was installed by original owner when bike was  new, which means we got a new stock clutch in the garage, suspension is all race tech stuff.  took it for a ride down his street before purchase, then went down the trail and actually took it for a ride tonight, works great.

thanks for all the info gentlemen, now we get to do some fall riding, sell a TT-R 225 and XR 200, and get the 03 jetted and suspension stiffened up some.

nice....enjoy it.  Sounds like it is in great condition.  Dont forget to check that air filter cage to make sure it doesnt have the hole down the middle that allows unfiltered air into engine.

• wizbangdoodle

Posted October 03, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Nice. You're gonna love it.

• essonlaker

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:46 AM

nice....enjoy it.  Sounds like it is in great condition.  Dont forget to check that air filter cage to make sure it doesnt have the hole down the middle that allows unfiltered air into engine.

thanks, will do this weekend, heading to a cycle salvage place today for a rear shock for our xr200 to make it sellable. not spending 600 from Honda on it. hopefully get old bikes sold this fall, for both storage space and wallet thickness...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.