Steering stem nut won't stay tight

4 replies to this topic
  • Thumper mike

Posted September 28, 2014 - 11:40 AM

Bought a 2006 yz450 1 month ago. Previous owner had installed Applied Racing triple
clamp upper and lower. The problem is the crown nut on steering stem will not stay tight. It will loosen up after about 10 laps. What could be causing this? I plan on taking it apart next weekend, just wondering what to look for. Thanks

• mikedabike

Posted September 28, 2014 - 02:52 PM

If everything is properly installed and torqued correctly it should not be a problem.  With that being said I had an aftermarket triple on my 07 and it seemed to always come loose.  I drilled and safety wired it an never had an issue again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper mike

Posted September 29, 2014 - 05:39 AM

Ok, Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try if everything checks out.

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:15 AM

First, loosen the top clamp at the fork tubes, then loosen the crown nut.  Set the bearing pre-load ring to roughly 5 ft/lb of torque as well as you can.  Then tighten the crown nut to 105 ft/lb, THEN tighten the pinch bolts at the fork tubes to 17 ft/lb.

Check the tension on the head bearings at this point.  The steering should be just tight enough so you that with the bike on a stand, can put the front wheel in any steering position and not have it flop over against the stop.

There are two possible reasons for the crown nut to loosen.  The first is incorrect assembly.  If the top clamp pinch bolts are not loosened before the crown nut is tightened, the tension on them can keep the top clamp from being clamped to the bearing adjuster squarely, and it can scrub and work loose.  Also, the crown nut needs to be tight.

The second reason would be if one or more of the bearing races was not completely seated in the steering head or on the stem. That, however, should also cause loose, clunky head bearings.

• Thumper mike

Posted September 29, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.