Tit to SS valves

3 replies to this topic
  • Will.A.R.

Posted September 25, 2014 - 11:48 AM

My exhaust valves and seats are perfect my intake valves and seats are gone. Is it ok to just replace the intake valves with ss while leaving the exhaust as tit?

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Assuming this is the '40 450 listed in your sig, you can use stainless valves in any number or combination you might like.  But bear in mind that stainless valves are ~40% heavier than Ti, so you cannot use OEM Yamaha springs with them.  You'll need the correct valve springs that will be provided by the valve manufacturer, usually sold in full sets only. 

IMO, there is no advantage to using SS valves in a YZ450.  If it were a 426, you could save a short stack of $20's by using the SS valves for a 400 or for the 2000 model (along with the correct OEM springs) but that's not the case with aftermarket stuff, by and large.  Most of the time, the valves are a little cheaper, but by the time you get all the other stuff to make them work, they cost just as much as OEM Ti, and they don't really last any longer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Will.A.R.

Posted September 25, 2014 - 01:50 PM

I could go with pro x with springs and save about 30 bucks but I'll prob just go back with OEM tit. Any dangers having a reputable local shop grind the seats?

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2014 - 05:35 PM

No, not if it's really reputable.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.