Starting techniques for XR600R?

5 replies to this topic
  • XrFreakXr

Posted January 30, 2004 - 03:30 PM

I know how to start it just fine, but sometimes it can be so stubborn that it will bring a man to his knees I just want to develop a method and just hear the methods you guys use. Thanks. :)

• DualSport650

Posted January 30, 2004 - 05:49 PM

XR600's are easy to start AFTER you figure out the procedure. If you don't know that procedure, you'll hate the bike. Here is the procedure I use to start my trail whale...

1) Turn on the choke

2) Turn up the idle

3) Twist the throttle about half way and hold it there

4) Charge the cylinder with air/fuel by turning the motor over with the kickstarter slowly about 10 times.

5) Let the throttle go - no throttle

6) Find TDC

7) No give it a big solid KICK with ALL your might!

It should start on the first, second, or third big kick. I can usually start it in one big kick, even on a freezing cold morning with this procedure.

Ride on.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted January 30, 2004 - 07:22 PM

I do the same except no number 3. Starts easy hot unless I've dropped it (that's when gravity really sucks :)). Then I give a few kicks when the decomp pulled in, find TDC and give it the mega-boot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted January 30, 2004 - 08:05 PM

Use a 4 wheeler to pull it! :) I had an 89 xr600 and it was hard as hell to kick.

• dirtboy

Posted February 02, 2004 - 05:37 PM

My technique is a bit different. I used to have to jump up in the air to get mine turned over, then I started using the compression release to get the cylinder just past TDC, or even halfway through TDC. Then a healthy kick, sans the sweat. Now I can start it in sandals.

• NorCalBusa

Posted February 04, 2004 - 02:15 PM

The best technique by far is the MARK technique. My riding buddy, who's name is Mark, hops on and starts it for me. (It's that or CPR, and he likes to ride a lot, so go figure)

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.