Got a 2008 WR450F and need a little bit of help / advice

4 replies to this topic
  • Ledrocnoc

Posted September 24, 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hi there... I just got myself a brand new WR450F  :thumbsup:   and I need a little bit of help.

Here is the background quick story... I used to ride and race way back then (started in 1986 with a Yamaha IT 175, then a YZ250, Husqvarna 510TE, Husaberg 501, KTM 525 - so if I'd race today I'd probably be in the Super Senior class) but after blowing my knees a few times (ACL's), I sold the bikes and turned to mountain bike riding (no more racing tho).  Then a couple of month ago my little brother sent me a picture of a 2008 WR450F with a note saying "my new bike".  I promptly replied "If you find one for me, I'll come ride with you".  Which he did and that's how I am now the proud owner of  low kilometrage 2008 WR450F.

Ah... and I say Kilometrage because my bike (as well as my brother and his bike) is in France, while I am in California.  No big deal, especially since the bikes are in the Lozère region in France, which is also known as "Enduro Heaven", where we also happen to have a house  ;)

Now, I plan to take my gear with me next time I go over there (October) since I kept most of if.  Considering the exchange rate of Euro vs. Dollars not to mention the high prices and taxes in France, it makes sense to bring with me a few parts and tools.  Since I don't have the bike with me to measure stuff and I don't have any knowledge of the WR450F, I have a few questions and it would be great to get some help.

Carry-on Tool-kit:

I am planning to bring my carry-on tool kit with me (i.e. the tool kit that I take with me on rides).  My last bike was a KTM 525 (I got the first one delivered in Norther California way back then) and it was pretty good as KTM tried to standardize most of the bolt sizes (8 / 10 / 12mm I think) and they also provided a mini tool kit with a couple of combination wrenched that cover most of the stuff you could do on the trail.  I would like to reuse this on the WR450F.  So here are the questions:

• What's the front axle nut size?
  • What the rear axle nut size?
  • Spark plug size?
  • Is it realistic to change a spark plug on the trail on these bikes (like to you need to take the whole bike apart)?  If it is, what's the best spark plug wrench for the job?
  • Are there any odd bolt size (like 9 / 11 / 13, etc...) that I need to cover that might not be accesible with a regular adjustable wrench?
  • What tools do you recommend I bring (besides the usual pliers, adjustable wrench, tire iron, screw drivers, knife)?
  • What the standard chain size (to buy a spare master link)?

Performance mods

I think to remember that the early WRF had some performance limiting snorkels, screw limiters, etc... built in to pass various US smog, etc.  I am not sure that it was the same in Europe and on the 2008 models, but just in case, what should I be looking for to check if there are any of these limiters and what are the procedures to remove them?

I'll have probably more questions later... but this would give me a good start.

Thanks.

Denis

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 24, 2014 - 06:16 PM

http://www.thumperta...400426450-faqs/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jimmym

Posted September 24, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Congrats, you're gonna love it!  I have a 2011, but I think most of the information below fits both model years:

• What's the front axle nut size?  22mm, I believe. 
  • What the rear axle nut size?  27mm
  • Spark plug size?  NGK CR8E / 16mm or 5/8
  • Is it realistic to change a spark plug on the trail on these bikes (like to you need to take the whole bike apart)?  If it is, what's the best spark plug wrench for the job?  Spark plug can be removed with just the seat and tank removed.  This tool works great for me, but I added a flex joint to simplify getting it in and out of the tight space.
  • Are there any odd bolt size (like 9 / 11 / 13, etc...) that I need to cover that might not be accesible with a regular adjustable wrench?  I can't remember where they are located right now, but I'm sure I've used 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm.  
  • What tools do you recommend I bring (besides the usual pliers, adjustable wrench, tire iron, screw drivers, knife)?  Metric hex key/ allen wrench set, including sizes 3, 4, and 5.  
  • What the standard chain size (to buy a spare master link)?  114 links

I think to remember that the early WRF had some performance limiting snorkels, screw limiters, etc... built in to pass various US smog, etc.

Correct, it may have a long throttle stop screw, binocular snorkel in the airbox, and the AIS power robbing kit.  You'll probably want to look at a kit like this one that provides the components to remove these restrictions.  Search this forum for removing the gray wire, and obviously jetting and off-idle bog issues.

On a side note, how much does a bike like this cost in France / Enduro Heaven?  And will your bike (and house) be available for rent once you get it tweaked?   :thumbsup: 

• Ledrocnoc

Posted September 25, 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks guy for the great info.

Jim, who knows... we might be able to arrange something!  IF you want to know what it looks like, go on YouTube and search either "Enduro Lozere", "Enduro Brioude" or "Trefle Lozerien".

Denis

• Ledrocnoc

Posted October 11, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Here is the beast!

:thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 1.JPG
  • photo 3.JPG

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.