burning oil

8 replies to this topic
  • rocky1980

Posted September 23, 2014 - 08:47 AM

hi guys just a quick one i have recently got a ys450f its my first bike of this style as i always ridden road bikes so i don't know much about these at all how there supposed to sound ect.

today i noticed a little blue smoke from the exhaust and you can smell it burning and my engine sounds a little noisey.

also how u check the oil in these is a pain in the arse it docent seem to give me a reading yet i have put oil in.

whilst the bike was running i thought ill put a bit more oil in and see if it quietens the motor down but soon as i took off the oil filler cap it was blowing air is this normal?

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:21 AM

What year model?

• rocky1980

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:40 AM

2003 yz450f grayracer

• rocky1980

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:43 AM

just wondering if the piston rings have gone and its burning oil but I'm not sure what these are meant to sound like all my road bikes are smooth and quiet this aint so I'm unsure if its a fault or it does sound that way

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:52 AM

It is absolutely normal for air to pulse in and out of the filler on any YZ450 while it's running because it opens directly into the crankcase, which is, of course, exposed to the underside of the piston.  It moves 450cc of air around underneath it just like it does on top.

The bike is also a dry sump lube system, so the oil level indicator (dip stick) is in the tank where the oil is stored during operation, in this case, the frame. 

Read up and follow the included links: http://www.thumperta...e/#entry7615908

In good health, the bike should show no significant oil consumption over 5-6 hours of run time.  It's likely that yours need rings and possibly valve guide seals.  Figure on replacing the piston as well, and have the cylinder professionally inspected/measured.

• rocky1980

Posted September 23, 2014 - 11:09 AM

thanks for the reply yes if I'm doing the rings I'm going to get it all done piston,rings,valve check and re shim if required are these generaly noise machines?

• rocky1980

Posted September 23, 2014 - 11:37 AM

just watched a few vids seems mines just the same as everyone else. can someone help what piston do i buy do i have to strip it out and measure or can i just buy one then fit at a later date iv noticed theres a,b,c,d what is this? 

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2014 - 01:02 PM

New Yamaha.  There's only one size piston: 5TJ-11631-00-00

• rocky1980

Posted September 23, 2014 - 01:41 PM

thanks grayracer

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.