2011 450f Spring rates for heavy rider...

6 replies to this topic
  • bigcozzybear

Posted September 18, 2014 - 08:55 PM

So at 115 kg (roughly 250lb) I find the standard springs far too soft, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

So my question is, what spring rates should I be looking at for both forks and shock to suit my weight?

• ratom98

Posted September 18, 2014 - 10:41 PM

i'm about the same and have a .50 fork springs and 6.3 in the rear. the rear is just barely ok on the race sage. i didn't ride my 11 before i put the springs in but the valving seems way off with the heavier springs.

• bigcozzybear

Posted September 18, 2014 - 10:48 PM

i didn't ride my 11 before i put the springs in but the valving seems way off with the heavier springs.

So you didn't change the valves to match the springs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ratom98

Posted September 19, 2014 - 12:19 AM

no i just put the springs in so i could ride it first and know how i wanted it valved

• bigcozzybear

Posted September 19, 2014 - 12:28 AM

Fair enough. I'm going to get a suspension shop to do it, just wondering what other people are using so I know if I'm getting the right gear from the "gurus"

• JLB943

Posted September 19, 2014 - 01:04 PM

I have 0.50 and 6.3 in the rear. I bounce between about 230-240. I think you will need a heavier spring than this. Also once you get the heavier springs in, you are going to need the stiffen the rebound dampening(fork and shock). The front end will be way to bouncy if you are riding mx.

• bigcozzybear

Posted September 19, 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'm going to get new valves at the same, so hopefully they do a good job with valving

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.