Bike prep for desert season

1 reply to this topic
  • rhinoracin

Posted September 18, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I have been planning to get the suspension re-valved on my 09, and at the same time re-grease all the chassis bearings because it's never been done before. Bike has 50 hours, so are the bearings something that MUST be done before my next ride, or would it be ok to wait another couple rides? I haven't noticed any signs that it needs to be done now, besides just a little dust buildup below the steering stem.

When I grease these bearings, is it ok to use a (new) hand bearing packer? or is it better to do it by hand?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2014 - 06:45 AM

If it has never been done, it should be soon.  Yamaha isn't famous for using  a whole lot of grease in the steering head, or the swing arm pivot, for that matter.  Being in SoCal, you probably aren't exposed to a lot of water except when the bike gets washed, so once you do this job the right way with a good high pressure marine (waterproof) grease, you can forget it for quite a while.  (BTW, when washing, take it easy around the steering head.  The top seal isn't that good at its job).

bearing packers are great, but you won't get one onto the bottom bearing without removing it, and you shouldn't remove it if you intend to reuse it.  Try and get new grease up under the roller cage.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.