I've been looking for a used or new 250 and these beasts just aren't very common.  Heck on the used market on a national search, only three 250s come up on dirtbikefinds. There's many more XCF-Ws but not the XCF.

???

Because they're awesome bikes! The XC/XCF's are the best do it all bikes on the market today.

Edited by motonack
  • Like 3

I picked up a 2015 350 XCF three weeks ago and the dealer told me three other people tried to buy it (two by phone and one in the store) before I could drive the four hours to pick it up. I put a deposit on it while it was still in the crate. I read the power was a little soft on the bottom and midrange. I sure don't think it is. Love the power of this bike!

I'm the lucky owner of a 450 XCF.  IMO the reason why you are having a hard time finding an XCF because dealers know they are not as popular as the XCF W so they order less or order none which leaves very few used XCF for sale.   Check out Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside, CA.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-KTM-250-XC%3F%3F%3FF-250-111291092

Edited by David37

Of course the salesman could be just saying that to seal the deal. But I mean they don't even have much inventory of the XCFs

The salesman is the owner of a big multi brand shop and isn't into playing games. I put a deposit on the bike before it got there. I just think with KTM they may have a big part in what a dealer gets for their inventory. I don't think the dealers can just order up and get exactly what they want. Since I got this bike two of my friends picked up the 350 XCF W bikes. I'm new to KTM so I asked them why the chose the W's and they both said they are a little better trail bikes than the XC's. Heck now I need to ride one of their W's to see exactly what the differences are. BTW I also think the 350's in general sell better than the 250's so that may be why you are having a harder time finding one.

Edited by john01

The salesman is the owner of a big multi brand shop and isn't into playing games. I put a deposit on the bike before it got there. I just think with KTM they may have a big part in what a dealer gets for their inventory. I don't think the dealers can just order up and get exactly what they want. Since I got this bike two of my friends picked up the 350 XCF W bikes. I'm new to KTM so I asked them why the chose the W's and they both said they are a little better trail bikes than the XC's. Heck now I need to ride one of their W's to see exactly what the differences are. BTW I also think the 350's in general sell better than the 250's so that may be why you are having a harder time finding one.

W has a lower 1st and 2nd and the PDS shock. I'd like the gearing on the W better but i dont like the idea of a PDS shock. Having a single pivot, direct mount makes the shock do all the work. I'm new to dirt bikes but experienced with mountain bikes. On mtb's, single pivots are harsh at the top and blow through the travel faster.  I probably couldn't tell the diff upon my first few rides, but over time I think I'd dislike the PDS

So, 350s are that much more popular?  For my short legs, even the 250 is pushing it. 

I'm 5'- 7" (30") inseam myself so I hear you on the tall bike thing. I "think" the seat heights are the same on the 250/350/450. I know I would never need a lower first gear than this bike has and really like the spacing. I'm 55 and have been riding dirt bikes since I was a little kid and this bike has the best blend of power and weight of any bike I've owned or ridden. I do see more 460's than 250's and dealers seam to sell more but that just may be my small circle. For MX I think it's more 250's sold but woods it seems people like the extra torque for lugging. Good luck in you quest.

Its rumored too that KTM is offering the 2015s in lower volume than the years past. They dont want any leftovers for when the 2016s drop. The 2016 bikes will be all new the same way KTM did things back in 2011. This is a huge transitional period for KTM.

Edited by motonack

I too am new to KTM, have a 250 XC-F. I thought that I'd care about the wide-ratio tranny, but my bike can pull from idle with its current 1st gear. I can't see how having it be lower would be better.

Love the bike.  

Here in PA, you can get street plates for a XC-W. You probably can't get it fully street legal without a horn, mirror, etc. so it will fail inspection. But a lot of places (New Jersey pine barrens and dual-sport enduros) are happy with just the plate.

IMHO, the headlight is just another thing to break when I drop the bike.

I LOVE my 13 450 XCF but I would really love it even more if it had a wide ratio 6 spd, that's ok though I like it so much it's something I can live with!

I have a 2013 450 XC-F and threw on a fan kit, Evans coolant and droped a tooth in the front from 14 to 13 and have a 52 tooth in the rear,

I LOVE THIS BIKE now the tough decisions likwe where to put stickers hahahaha cause the rest is great!!!!!

I finally figured out another reason why there's possibly less XCFs vs XCFWs. In CA the XCF is a red sticker bike. Damn!  I was all set on the linkage bike. But NO. If I want a trail KTM and want to ride year-round, I'm stuck to the XCFW.   I'm not fast by any means, but I do want active suspension. Im not a fan of PDS, period. 

Oh well...

Have you ridden a 2012 or newer with pds? Heaps better than previous models. The only real noticeable difference between pds and linkage is when braking hard through braking bumps but they no longer randomly kick you in the arse. It also works really well in the whoops and the best thing is pds doesn't get hooked up on anything. If you are solely racing motocross, the link is necessary for those braking bumps.

Edited by Kato7