Yamaha YZ450F Full or Part Engine Rebuild?

2 replies to this topic
  • Lightyear2000

Posted September 17, 2014 - 12:28 AM

First time posting on here.

Me & My Son recently acquired an '05 YZ450F with a seized engine. 

On further inspection, it turns out the crank has seized but the rest of the engine is perfect.

My question is should we replace the top end as well as the crank? The Piston, Bore & Valves etc are in perfect condition, zero scoring.

I'm happy to replace the Crank while my Son is insisting we do everything (I'm paying for it all btw).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • minimadness047

Posted September 17, 2014 - 04:52 AM

Check the oil pump out.I'd throw a piston kit and timing chain in there aswell.if the valves and head look good and the clearance is still in spec I'd run the head

• grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Timing chain just whenever you open the engine up.  Obviously, a complete new crank.  If the bore is in fact in good shape clean it up with a bottle brush hone and replace the rings. 

Considering that the crank seized, that means that the force of stopping the engine was applied to the piston, and for that reason alone, I would replace it.  Check the oil pump, and the condition of the trans bearings and the bearings that carry the balancer shaft. Replace the mains.

You might also want to check the condition of the valves.  Reject any that have detectable wear on the face (any sort of ridge at the edge of the contact marking.  DO NOT EVER lap titanium valves, no matter what the book says, and avoid running a wire brush against the faces while cleaning the rest of the valve.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.