Map Change

8 replies to this topic
  • bobpara

Posted September 16, 2014 - 07:29 AM

I now have a carbureatored '06 that I am considering replacing and getting a newer one

This new bike will most likely have FI

Can somebody give me the 40,000 ft view of what I will need to know and do?

On road bikes, you hear about guys who add a 'power commander' to their bike

On almost every bike out there I believe the sell you a 'computer' for the FI that cannot be reflashed or reprogrammed

....I think thats why people buy the power commander.

What do you do? Do you hook the thing up to a laptop to rejet when you buy a new pipe or air cleaner?

How do you edit the program on a WR, do you need any special software to open an FI map or

when you buy a power commander does it come with a disk that you install on a laptop?

The notion of rejetting an FI bike seems so incredibly different than with a carb

The basics on doing this could make a great 'sticky note' at the top of this page....

• GP1K

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:06 AM

The stock ECU is locked and cannot be remapped. So the first thing you need to buy is the competition (GYTR) ECU, which about $100 and typically includes the throttle stop removal screw as well.

Then to do the actual remapping, there's the GYTR FI tuner which works on all FI Yamaha dirt bikes, and is about $250. It holds up to 9 maps and you can change maps very easily in a just a few seconds. If you have buddies with FI Yammies, you could share one.

• cracker please

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:23 AM

The power commander is better but the GYTR tuner is nice for it's simplicity and clean install. 

• cracker please

Posted September 16, 2014 - 12:27 PM

I was gonna bump my whole timing map +1.  Never noticed that the GYTR tuner only goes up to +4.  I think the power commander will let you advance more.  If you were running race gas or something, I could see wanting more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted September 16, 2014 - 01:52 PM

I was gonna bump my whole timing map +1.  Never noticed that the GYTR tuner only goes up to +4.  I think the power commander will let you advance more.  If you were running race gas or something, I could see wanting more.

I just double checked my GYTR tuner, it does +/- 7 units.

• cracker please

Posted September 16, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Mine goes from -9 to +4 on ignition.  +/- 7 on the fuel side though.

Edited by cracker please, September 16, 2014 - 02:41 PM.

• GP1K

Posted September 16, 2014 - 03:30 PM

Mine goes from -9 to +4 on ignition.  +/- 7 on the fuel side though.

My bad, I didn't check both, just fuel.... mine is same.

• bobpara

Posted September 18, 2014 - 06:07 AM

The basic 'how to' of this would make a great sticky pinned at the top of the page

Believe it or not, I have not owned an FI bike yet and this is all new to me

Alot of nubes probably dont even know where to find the stock ECU

Its just so radically different than changing jets

.....so you plug the new ECU in, install some software on your laptop, and then hook up the laptop to the bike?

they you download or send this new program to the ECU?

Wow! Beats the Shix out of pulling the carb in and out 100 times until you get the jetting right

Question: You say the ECU map is fixed on the WR and YZ. Is this true for all bikes?

A friend has an FI Harley and he preaches up and down that you do not need the power commander

He says that the ECU has enough bandwidth to adjust for changes like new pipe, air cleaner, etc

DO some bike come with ECU's that correct within a certain range?

• wizbangdoodle

Posted September 20, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I agree, a pinned thread on all FI, ECU and tuners would be great. So far, I have seen posts in various threads from guys that have a lot of experience with these systems. It would be nice to have it all in one spot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.