Anybody tried Dunlop AT81 RC Rear tire?

14 replies to this topic
  • DPete

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:12 PM

Supposed to be good for desert conditions, The RC means reinforced compound

• KennyMc

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:21 PM

I am not a fan of the traction in the desert. I haven't had any flats with it but a riding buddy got 4 puncture flats in 15 miles of riding in Johnson Valley. He was running Tubliss with 8 lbs pressure. Once I have burned through mine I will not be getting another one. I have a Pirelli XCMH waiting to be installed.

• GP1K

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:29 PM

3 of my friends have the AT81s now, and all love them. Only one has the RC though, on his KTM 500. He ran an 8 hour hare scramble type race with virtually zero visible wear and has over 100 miles now and still very little wear. I have a set waiting for my KTM and the WR is next.

• Jonesy11

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Tried the AT81 desert a couple months ago chunked really bad. Went back to the best for desert. Maxxis desert IT

• KennyMc

Posted September 09, 2014 - 04:35 PM

3 of my friends have the AT81s now, and all love them. Only one has the RC though, on his KTM 500. He ran an 8 hour hare scramble type race with virtually zero visible wear and has over 100 miles now and still very little wear. I have a set waiting for my KTM and the WR is next.

I wonder how different the RC is compared to the other one. I haven't tried the non-RC one....

• cubera

Posted September 09, 2014 - 06:14 PM

I roached an AT81 and have a new AT81 RC ready to mount. IMHO these tires are nothing special in any way.

• KennyMc

Posted September 09, 2014 - 06:29 PM

I roached an AT81 and have a new AT81 RC ready to mount. IMHO these tires are nothing special in any way.

My thoughts as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted September 10, 2014 - 07:58 AM

I wonder how different the RC is compared to the other one. I haven't tried the non-RC one....

Stiffer sidewall (more plys) that's it, otherwise same tires.

• JPD855

Posted September 10, 2014 - 11:34 AM

Stiffer sidewall (more plys) that's it, otherwise same tires.

Yep! Reinforced Casing - has 2 extra plys and the compound is a 70 durometer (non RC is a 65 durometer)

• KennyMc

Posted September 10, 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I got that they would be mfg differently, I guess my question would be how the difference would translate into performance.

• woods-rider

Posted September 10, 2014 - 01:14 PM

I have tried the RC. It's good, but nothing special IMO.

• DPete

Posted September 10, 2014 - 02:51 PM

Ordered the maxxis desert, found lots of positive reviews online plus Jonsey11's comment. Been 12 years since I did any So Cal desert riding, tires have all changed.

• KennyMc

Posted September 10, 2014 - 03:11 PM

It's the fail safe tire for me and non-DOT. When I want DOT, I have been going with the Kenda Parker-DT or Pirelli XCMH.

But 90% of the time I didn't worry about DOT and go with the Maxxis DesertIT :thumbsup:

• cubera

Posted September 13, 2014 - 09:04 PM

All good. My favorite all time rear is the 739AT but they're too much money....Front I like the M203 90/100-21 which is what I'm running now with a Maxis Desert IT rear 120/100-18. Good combo. I'm settled on these for now.

• GP1K

Posted September 16, 2014 - 08:17 AM

I think the take-away here is that there is no one killer do-it-all tire that works great everywhere for everyone. If you're looking for tire recommendations, make sure to look for guys riding the same conditions/terrain you ride, or their advice is pretty useless. If you ride nothing but desert, your tire choice is going to be different than someone that rides nothing but snotty muddy single track.

I know that seems like a DUH thing to say, but sometimes it's easy to forget TT members are all across the country, and even other parts of the world. Just keep that in mind when asking/giving tire advice. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.